Adding bunk light

KampCraft79

Jun 16, 2014
TEXAS
I have a 1999 Dutchmen pop-up and I want to add bunk lights on both ends. On the ceiling next to each end there is a sticker that says somethin about "power for bunk here", I'm assuming that if I cut a small hole with a razor knife here that I will find power wires here to tie into correct? Has anyone done this before? How did you do it? Thanks!

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
Do you have dome lights on the ceiling? If so, is there something that looks like an old big earphone jack near the light?

KampCraft79

Jun 16, 2014
TEXAS
Yes there is a dome light over the dinette, But it does not have that port. I bought a piece that has that port and has two wires, just need to know if I cut into the ceiling where that sticker is if I'll find wires to tie into.

CO Hiker

Dec 6, 2015
Colorado
The sticker might be a framing indicator as where to locate the mounting screws for the jacks. If the overhead light wiring is exposed, tap that for power. I just replaced both of my jacks and the wiring comes from under the ceiling trim, runs the length of the ceiling to the overhead light. They used squeeze crimps and tapped the bunk light outlet wires to the overhead circuit. The mounting screws though go in to solid wood which is my "hunch" as to why the sticker is there. Had to trim/notch the new jacks a little 180 degrees apart so the overhead light and speaker wiring passed under the jack without getting pinched.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
If you cut though the center of the sticker and find wires all the good. If you don't find wires when you install the port you'll cover the hole.

Let us know what you find.