Adding Diamond Plate to the front of my PUP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by colorado_camper, Sep 16, 2014.

1. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I've had this project in mind for a couple of years but just now had the opportunity to get to it. Originally, I had planned on replacing the trunk lid altogether with 1/8" (3mm) diamond plate but then I started thinking about the thinner, cosmetic stuff and the idea of making a skin for the existing lid, which is mangled but doesn't leak a drop. I bought a slightly damaged 4' x 10' (1.2 x 3m) sheet of .025" (0.635mm) aluminum diamond plate a few days ago and got home early enough to get into it today.

Here is the aged-to-imperfection front of my PUP.
    [​IMG]

The lid has looked like this since I bought the PUP 5 years ago. It had a hole in it which I filled with caulk back then. [:(O]
    [​IMG]

Removed the lid and drilled out the rivets holding the piano hinge on.
    [​IMG]

Cut the sheet down to 84", the width of my PUP. I then cut it in half lengthwise, one piece for the lid and the other for the front panel of the PUP.
    [​IMG]

Doing the trunk lid, first fold on the end.
    [​IMG]

Made cuts at the ends for the overlap. I wanted to leave these on so I could overlap them on the corners.
    [​IMG]

The final fold with a piece of scrap wood cut to the length of the lid.
    [​IMG]

And the first test-fitting. It's going to need trimming and the sharp edges smoothed down before I permanently attach it. Looks pretty good in rough form though. [A]
    [​IMG]

2. jwh92020

jwh92020 Member

You are doing what is to be my next project. I need to make a new lid as mine has raised channels on it. What did you use to cut the plate lengthways and width? Plesse be sure to post pics when you do the front of the compartment.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Shouldn't those end tabs go on the inside?

4. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Mine has raised channels too. I'm just going right over them. The opening handles you can see on the front of the lid were cut off. I used those large snips you can see in the 4th picture. Just watch the edge as your hand goes through because it's sharp and it will get you. I'll keep the pics coming, probably more tomorrow.

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Nice work, looking forward to seeing it progress!

Where did you pick up the diamondplate piece from? I'm looking to possibly put this below the molding along the sides of our HTT.

6. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

This guy is local to me but he ships all over the country.

http://onlinediamondplate.com/

7. jwh92020

jwh92020 Member

My lid does not sit on top of the box, it is the top of the box. I'm not sure that I can cover it. Looking forward to seeing how you do the front. Nice thing about diamond plate, not only does it protect the trailer, it looks really cool too!

8. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I want them to deflect water on the road so the front ones will be outside and the rear ones inside...... I think. I should get to that tomorrow.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Looks nice.

10. MJinCP

MJinCP New Member

Very cool. Nice upgrade. [:D]

11. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Project competed today, I'm happy with it. It's not perfect but, in the big picture, it is what I was aiming for.

Pop-riveting the hinge back on. I added half-a-dozen extra rivets to spread the load because half the original holes in the plastic had broken. I also used aluminum washers on the rivets to support the weight a bit better.
    [​IMG]

Put the latch plates back on and added a few stainless nut/bolts to hold the DP to the original. Also, removed the protective plastic from the DP which is why it looks much shinier today than yesterday!! [8D]
    [​IMG]

New butyl tape for under the hinge.
    [​IMG]

Reinstalled and working well. It seems to have shifted forward just a little, probably from the extra layer between the hinge and the lid. I have to push on it a tiny amount to get it to seat correctly. That may be newness too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front panel will have to wait for at least a week because I don't have any time left for that right now. I'll post pics of that part when I do it.

12. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Definitely something special about diamond plate! :)

Good job! [:D]

13. GMD

GMD Member

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Well. it took a lot longer to get back to this project than I thought it would but I finally had some time available this afternoon to finish the diamond plate project.

Removed all the hardware from the front panel.
    [​IMG]

Cut the diamond plate sheet to the correct size, in this case 84 inches (213cm) by 22 inches (56cm.)
    [​IMG]

Used a stick of 2 x 2 and some clamps to put the bend into the sheet, 9 3/8 inches (23.8cm) down. It's not perfect but it's more than good enough for this.
    [​IMG]

Roughed in, held in place with some offcut wood.
    [​IMG]

And set in place. It's got three beads of glue underneath and I placed all the screws and hardware back on to hold it while the glue sets up. I still have to remove the plastic skin from the diamond plate and seal all the screw holes, etc. That'll be a job for saturday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like it. [MOD] [8D]

15. billy_bob169

billy_bob169 New Member

Very nice! We added 1/16" thick aluminum tread plate to the front and rear of ours. Definitely agree that there is something sexy about shiny diamond plate!

[​IMG]

16. changingground

changingground New Member

I'm still coming to know our Pup (having just picked it up this past Sunday) and I really like your diamond plate trunk lid. Will have to think about it. As nice as our Mesa is, it's clear the abs cover is never going to last... Sweet project! Thanks for sharing.