Adding hooks to ceiling?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Limmer, May 30, 2019.

1. Limmer

Limmer Member

Hey everybody. Just got our PUP and trying to figure out space and storage. We want to hang those 5 compartment organizers from the ceiling but are not sure what we should use to attach the hooks to the ceiling. We want it to hold but not to damage it. Any suggestions?

**I should have clarified we do not want to drill holes. I was thinking some sort of adhesive.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

I had my dealer install those. They use a special fastener that doesn't damage the precious roof.

[​IMG]

HappyTraveler and Limmer like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I hang stuff on the sheperds poles, shower curtian rod and a shoe orginizer on the door. I did make the pressure rod shelves to go over the sink. I would be Leary of anything that wasnt screwed through the roof if you want to put anything with a little weight in it. That being said, i would not put a hole in the roof eaither. Gorilla glue will stick to most surfaces. Check out some storage mods, there are a ton and you might like some of them better.

HappyTraveler and Limmer like this.
  4. CampingFamily1

I think the dealer uses a perfectly sized special screw that just goes through the ceiling, but not into the roof. You could call my dealer's parts or service department or Beckley's (both top rated dealers) during a slow time of the day, and they would know the exact size and type of screw it they use for this.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I managed to find a shower curtain rod that can extend just in front of the bunk end. I was then able to hang a sweater organizer from that. I also cut a shoe organizer and attached Velcro to it and attached it to the bar on the bunkend. Great place for keys, cell, book. I personally didn't want to put anything on the ceiling and doubted glue could hold much stuff. PhotoPictureResizer_190530_172031669-1312x738.jpg

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My POPUP trailer has one of the ceiling pull down hanger holders on one end. It is pretty close to the edge of the ceiling so I guess that add's some strength to the ceiling. My ceiling board is 1/4-plyboard...

It is just below the left hand arrow shown here...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

If I was going to support something heavy I would install something across the whole ceiling and tie into the roof sides like shown in one of the posts above... These will hold some screws or something sticky...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. CampingFamily1

This camper caddy is attached with 3 specialized bolts. It holds quite a bit of weight distributed among 3 fasteners into the ceiling. I imagine there is a 1/4" plywood ceiling, then 1" thick foam, then finally the precious roof glued onto the foam. This all requires expert knowledge of how far you can drill through the plywood ceiling, into the foam, without touching the fiberglass roof. And it needs a perfectly sized expanding bolt that doesn't go too far, but gets through the ceiling. I had my dealer install these bolts on both sides of my camper while it was still covered under warranty. They recommended I have them install it since it required specialized knowledge.

8. Sjm9911

9. Sjm9911

20190417_091234-980x2016.jpg

The one in my camper.

HappyTraveler and CampingFamily1 like this.
  10. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

They make Command strips that can hold some serious weight. And they can be removed if you dont want them anymore

11. LittleBrother

LittleBrother New Member

I put screws in my roof for a hanging organizer and basket, used #6 x 1/2" screws to attach some small footman loops and hang organizers from that. The lights, hanging bar (assuming you have one), and A/C power cord are all held up with screws from the factory. I've had no problems.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  12. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

This is a great idea, but it's not clear how you hold it in place. Does it use tension against the sides of the roof, or did you install rod sockets, or what? Also, can you close the camper with it in place, or do you need to take it down? Thanks from a newbie.:smiley:

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

On mine it's a combination of tension and being supported by my curtain tracks that run all the way to the end on my camper. If I didn't have the curtain tracks I would have just glued rod holders on the side. I'm able to leave it up all the time and don't even have to take the organizer down as it folds down with the camper. occasionally I may have to tighten the tension on the rod but I've had it up for three seasons and it held up fine. Now I try not to overload the bar with too much heavy stuff and keep the organizer towards the side of the camper vrs center of the rod. You will need something to hold the rod though. The roof flexes and moves quite a bit and tension alone would cause it to slip. It comes in handy. I hang damp towels to dry, heavy coats. The sweater organizer is my pantry and clutter holder. I chose this route as I didn't want to have to disassemble/reassemble shelving every trip. I'm of the keep it simple crowd.

14. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed!

15. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

When I took down all my valences and curtains, I found 3 of these clips up around the ceiling between the roof and shower curtain track. Wondered what they were for and now I know!
    Thanks for sharing this photo!

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

We use hooks with very strong magnets that we attach to the support bars for the AC. The magnets are seriously strong. Keep them away from children because they can badly pinch little fingers.

17. Punkndoodle

Punkndoodle New Member

CarlaCB likes this.