Adding PVC Storage tube to back of camper

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by bacci321, Apr 10, 2011.

1. bflentje

bflentje Member

I found 6" u-bolts at Fastenal. Very spending. Also, they won't work in the position you've shown behind the spare as you'd never get them into a drilled hole because of the angle. I mounted my 6" tube under my camper.

2. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

On the old '70s Starcraft, the rear exterior wall looked like a backwards leaning J if veiwed from the curb(door)side, while the interior rear wall was straight vertical. They had a built in tube in the space between, behing the lifter arms, with a locking door and everything. If anyone has a space unused between the int and ext walls, front or rear, they could put a tube or boxed tube in there.

3. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

i was about to say the same thing as starcrafty. good call!

ive been planning on something to carry my fishing rods. the biggest problem is they are one pc 7'. i store them in a 3" tube on the Jeep in route but may have to move that to the tounge and add a 6" for the rest of the surf rods. i just dont want the tubes sticking wider than the pup, nor do i want an aresenal of tubes stacked up to carry everything either. hmmmm.quandry

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I added one last year to the front of my PUp. I'm using it for awning poles. I painted it black to match the tongue and trim of the camper. It was a bit tight getting it behind the tire but I figure that will help hold it in place.

5. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Nice, wi'll do that on both ends, one for the awn poles. The second for fishing rods and camping unbrella. [:D]

6. Techhead

Techhead New Member

Reading through this post and I like this idea of the 6" on the back bumper.

Also, lots of folks could not find 6" u-bolts. How about 3/8" threaded rod and just bend it to the proper diameter and lenght? I think this would be sufficient to hold the tube on the bumper. With the threaded rod the threads would also bit into the top of the tube and ad a bit more security.