Adding Side Wall Gas Springs

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Brian Hovander, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

Chalet trailers now often are made with side wall gas springs to make it easier for the owners to raise the side walls, especially the dormer models. They will even add these to an older Chalet at the factory in Albany Oregon. My entry side wall requires almost 18 pounds force respectively (at the peak) to raise it.

I just added a 30 pound 26" gas springs, but not as the factory does this, to my entry side wall. This reduced the measured force required to raise that wall to 10 pounds. I will be eventually writing up a simple article on how I added this spring (an extra being re-purposed).

Gas springs can now be easily added to help raise the roof panels and this is occurring in Australia and the US. Articles on how to do for the roof panels can be found at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Aliner/

I found I had needed clearance to mount the 26" gas spring for the entry side wall to make it easier to raise and lower each time I stop for groceries, to camp overnight, etc.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

IMG_1821.JPG This reduced the force required to raise the side wall by 45%. I used an excess 26" gas spring rated at 30 pounds force (extended force).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019