Adding usb out lets.

Welderman85

Jun 17, 2021
I bought these to add to my camper they are low amp draw but only use 20 gauge wire thst seems to small? Anyways i would like to add them by my to outlets just for phones. Can i just tap into the out let witing

Welderman85

Jun 17, 2021
I would like to the usb charger ports. I would like to install them by the current 120v outlets currently in the camper. My concerns are can i just tie in to the 120v wire for power and is the 20gauge wire on the charger ports big enough for the amp draw

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-202051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220525-202051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20220526-070111_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-070111_Samsung Internet.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 126

Welderman85

Jun 17, 2021
Those are powered off 12VDC, so you will need to find a nearby source of 12V power or run a cable back to your converter. If you need to extend the wires I would recommend using #16 or better.
Thank you . If i run a 16 or bigger back to the Inverter will the little bit of 20 gauge on the usb be ok. It came on them and is soldered in.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
I don’t know about your AC outlet, but a lot of the ones (mine included) installed in RVs are of a press fit type, so you can’t easily change them to a house type outlet that just has the 2 wires pushed into little holes. I think it would be much easier to just tap into an existing 12 volt line. I wouldn’t bother with that 20 awg wire, 16 awg or higher would be what I’d run. The bigger the awg the less resistance.

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Powering up a 115vac Inverter to supply a usb charger from a 12v system introduces plenty of inefficiencies. Maybe you're lucky and the USB outlet is being powered off the 12v system, not off the Inverter's 115vac side. But for me, I would get a 12v USB adapter and plug it into the trailer's 12v system.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I don’t know about your AC outlet, but a lot of the ones (mine included) installed in RVs are of a press fit type, so you can’t easily change them to a house type outlet that just has the 2 wires pushed into little holes. I think it would be much easier to just tap into an existing 12 volt line. I wouldn’t bother with that 20 awg wire, 16 awg or higher would be what I’d run. The bigger the awg the less resistance.
True statements, but not really that consequential to USB devices, unless your installing 65w PD ports. 5v 2a =10w. 12v 1a=12w. The 65w pd ports also don't operate at 5v.. they operate at higher voltages. That's how that are able to use the same thickness cables.
Also it's advisable to do as you say, go direct for the 12v. It would be very energy wasteful to change from 12vdc to 120vac back down to 5vdc.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
20AWG can carry max 11 amps of load. If a typical 2-3amp USB output plus some loss (even at 1 amp) in stepdown voltage, you'd still be fine even running 20AWG all the way to the DC distribution fuse panel. DO NOT connect to your 110VAC outlet wiring.
True, but most regulators require #16 minimum for power distribution wiring, if not #14.

Even the propane/CO detectors in trailers, which have similar power draws, are typically wired with #14.

Powering up a 115vac Inverter to supply a usb charger from a 12v system introduces plenty of inefficiencies. Maybe you're lucky and the USB outlet is being powered off the 12v system, not off the Inverter's 115vac side. But for me, I would get a 12v USB adapter and plug it into the trailer's 12v system.
I'm assuming the OP meant converter, not Inverter.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
In the first post he was asking about an AC outlet that has the usb ports built in. They work on an AC line without the need to tap into the 12v line.

justins

Dec 2, 2015
The 12V circular usb adators work very well for charging and all kinds of accessories. In our pop-up reno, we got rid of all the AC wiring in favour of DC. We ran #12 from the main fuse panel to distributions buses in three zones and then #14 from the buses to the USB chargers, lights etc. So far so good - they appear to be very efficient. The USB outlets were a game changer for us in convenience.

FleetwoodDrak

May 1, 2018
Do you a link or a picture?

Are you referring to 120VAC (household) or 12VDC (round car type) outlets?
x3 on the USB wired to 12v system... I upgraded my 12v side when I added solar. Battery -> Blue Sea fuseblock, USB plugs and other 12v goodies off of the block.
Interesting. So this 12v system you wired in is totally separate from the Shore Power/Inverter? Or do you have a wire coming from the trailers main fuse block to your 12v subpanel? Sorry I’m pretty new to the world of trailer wiring.