Adhesive for roof rebuild?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by mward, Dec 14, 2013.

1. mward

mward New Member

Hi guys and gals,

I'm rebuilding the roof on my 91 Coleman Newport due to extensive water damage. I've got it down to the bare aluminum skin and am going to build a wood "frame" and fill with foam and skin with luan but I'm wondering what's the best adhesive to attach the wood to the skin with? I'd just use WEST system epoxy but that'd be a LOT of epoxy, hundreds of dollars at least, so I'm hoping there's something I can purchase in a tube from Home Depot or the like that I can squirt with a caulk gun to do the job that won't cost as much. Anyone got any recommendations? A tube or gallon that can be spread that'll do the job would be great. Thanks!!

2. Hwycruiser

Hwycruiser New Member

Going down to bare skin is a lot of work, most of the structure can be salvaged. The roofs are constructed the way they are to save weight.

I am rebuilding a Coleman top as well. Since I am dealing with wood, metal and foam I contacted Liquid Nails for their advice. They recommended their product #FN950 Polyurethane adhesive. I used it and it worked great, but it does need to be clamped or held in place while it dries. The FN950 was $5.50 a tube so is more costly (and hard to find) than the regular construction adhesive. You could use the regular or the panel/foam board adhesive in some areas to save cost. The foam board must be for exterior use and you must use an adhesive that works with foam, because most adhesives will dissolve it.

3. mward

mward New Member

For the foam I was going to use 3m Super Trim Adhesive (7700 I think), it's worked with foam rubber before so I think it's okay, I'll test some first. The frame I'm building is just a skeleton that runs where I need to attach the rails and trim, everywhere else it'll be foam. It'll be slightly heavier than the original structure but it won't be waterlogged foam so I think the overall weight will be a wash. $5.50 / tube is a great price. The Epoxy I'm using for structurally critical bonds is $80/qt. It goes a long way but not that far. :)

4. Hanne

Hanne New Member

We used Gorilla glue to bond the ceiling panels to the foam, but I think we used construction adhesive to bond the support beams and foam to the skin.

5. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Member

I used Loctite PL 8x Fastgrab....from Lowes/Home Depot don't recall which...and 3/4 inch Foamular for insulation.

I layed multiple lines of adhesive to the foam/luan, used a notched trawl to "smear" it all over the entire piece I was working with then used about a dozen clamps to hold it all together when working on the sides of the roof.

To help with distributing the force of the clamps, I used 1x2 furring strips about x8 feet long, with 10" and 6" deep C-clamps (Harbor Freight) as I needed a bunch of them, and then a bunch of other clamps on the lower end of the sides. Worked pretty well.

6. Tribble

Tribble New Member

+1 on the Loctite x8

I used it for every part of my roof rebuild.

You can never have too many clamps!

7. huizarr

huizarr Member