Adios, Photobucket

Discussion in 'Website Tips & Tricks' started by Hoomi, May 14, 2020.

1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Photobucket changed their Terms of Service, ending all free linked image hosting. Members can still store images on their site, but for remote image hosting, it's now a paid subscription service.

They've also ramped up their sales pitches, with frequent emails warning, "you're approaching your storage limit - upgrade today!" Never mind that I was running about 25% of my limit.

I just deleted my Photobucket account. I suppose when I get the P'up repaired and get back on the road with it, I'll find another option for remote image hosting. I just don't care for changing TOS and deceptive sales tactics.

friartuck, kitphantom and ezakoske like this.
  2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

They quit allowing free links of your pics several years ago. Many use imgur or similar hosting sites to provide links to pics. With Popup portal you dont need a hosting site, which is a very cool feature.

Orchid and kcsa75 like this.
  3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

They was my favorite Picture place back in the day. I moved when they started holding us for ransom a few years back. I went with IGMUR for my photo storage... Has all kinds of different size setting and all... Easy to use with a HTTPS assigned photo addresses...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Overland likes this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I use imgur. Been happy with it for quite a few years and it's free. Most of the time I can upload here without a hosting site, but occasionally one of my photos will be too large so nice to have a back up.

Overland likes this.
  5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Photobucket was used by many people on here, including me. It was great, but when they started wanting to charge money for it all, I bailed on them too. I deleted all my pictures out of all the folders I had there, and deleted my account there too. I now just have all my pictures up on the google cloud and bring them down here for free. I also down load them all and unzip them to my own private files to keep them on hand, just in case the cloud starts raining someday and they hold the pictures for ransom. When I come across old pictures of mine on here that are faded out and have photobucket watermarks all over them, I edit the post, removing the old pictures and put the same ones back in there out of my files. People then viewing old posts on here can then see the pictures as they were intended to be seen.

Overland and ezakoske like this.
  6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Members are always welcome to upload the photo to illustrate their posts directly to PopUpPortal. We just ask that members keep the size reasonable and to the point of the post.

Quick tip to resize a photo when using an iOS device, email the photo to yourself and then save that photo to your Photo Album, then upload that photo for your post on PUP.

Overland likes this.