Adirondack's in NY

caper75

Switchin to Glide...
Feb 16, 2010
Hello Good Campers...well we're trying to plan some trips this summer with our N2U pup. It's killing me seeing it sit in the driveway and not being able to use it. I've had it less then 2wks, and I keep buying things using the excuse it's for the PUP :)

I have a 4 days weekend July 1 (Canada Day) and was thinking a trip to the Adirondacks would be nice...never been, and it's only 2hrs from where I live. I have not camped in the US since a trip to NH when I was only 15.

Can anyone recommend a good site for Pups, we will be traveling with animals (2 dogs). It seems to me all the sites are private and not state, but perhaps I'm just missing a link.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Caper... I think it's an Ontario thing... With the upcoming introduction of the HST (hamonized sales tax) of 13% and the supposed increase by Ontario Parks.. Lots of Ontarians are looking to the US for their camping enjoyment... Including us..

I have also looked at place's in and around the Adirondack's, There are tons of State Parks,, where it get's less in numbers is if you want/need hydro... also lots of private cg's as well.
Do a google search for "Aderondack camping" and you'll find the private cg's, for the state parks goto http://www.reserveamerica.com/ and type in your wants/needs. also take a look at the link dschlosser provided.. I'm looking at it now. :)

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We stayed at the Lake George RV Park (www.lakegeorgervpark.com) on rt. 149. It's a private CG, but it is really nice. Plenty to do and close to lots of attractions in Lake George. I also hear there are some nice NY state CG's in the area, but I cannot speak for them since I have never stayed at any.

caper75

Switchin to Glide...
Feb 16, 2010
Hey Nice Sites...thanks. Honestly Snow I hadn't even thought of the HST until you just mentioned it. As you can guess from my name I'm originally a Caper from NS...not to get into political chatter, but the HST, originally called BST was never a good thing. I don't recall any prices ever going down...only up.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
While were on the subject of the Aderondack's.. do any of the State Parks there have Electric sites??? so far I haven't found any, well so far I have found Higley Flow which has electric sites.. but are there others??

Didn't want to drive as far as the Catskills but may have too..

caper75

Switchin to Glide...
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks Tomminny...I had a friend suggest Rollins Pond which appears to be in the same camping area...just the quieter of the two sites.

caper75

Switchin to Glide...
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks for the advice all...booked into Rollins Pond July 1-4. Got a Pond facing Prime rated site....excited first time camping in the U.S. since a visit to NH way back in 1990 with my parents.

New2PUP

Jul 27, 2007
Well I'm sure you've already booked your trip, but couldn't resist putting my 2cents in. We went to Lake Harris last year - just outside of Long Lake..We had a site right on the lake (65 I think it was) and it was beautiful! The bathrooms and showers were clean and close.....the kids walked down from our site to a little beach area right under our site to fish in the lake and we even pushed the row boat off from there as well.

It's a little hilly so bike riding is better for the experienced riders.

We took a trip to Long Lake and hung out at the beach there, then a trip to HOSS' a huge store with knick knacks, knitted things, sweat & tee shirts, stuffed animals, decor and more...it was great!

We also visited Buttermilk Falls which was a beautiful hike up to a small rapids where the kids swam in the calm part of the water. We watched as a few deer crossed the river. so nice. I"m sorry though I have no idea how to get there, I wasn't driving and there were about 4 cars of us in a caravan.

All in all that was a really great trip. I ahve pics if I can figure out how to get them one here.

Enjoy - wherever you go!

Tomminny

2004 Jayco Qwest 10K
I have camped in Rollins as well Caper75. It is a beautiful CG with more secluded campsites than Fishcreek. You have to drive through Fishcreek to get to Rollins. Just keep your food put away because there are bears there....
I am sure you will have a wonderful time!!!!!

If you have kayaks, the water is beautiful to kayak in!!!

New2PUP

Jul 27, 2007
Hoping this works - a couple of pics of Lake Harris....

http://community.webshots.com/album/577775194UhHUEw

caper75

Switchin to Glide...
Feb 16, 2010
Great pics New2PUP, it does look like a great area, and thanks Tomminny for the advice about it being secluded but needing to drive through the larger site first. I'd have been nervous entering Rollins Pond if I seen it as very crowded. We just had our first pup adventure this weekend to Bon Echo in Ontario, nice park, but it was the noisiest camp ground I'd ever been in. I think we were just in a bad site...my patio is more relaxing.