adjusting fridge & pilot light level/knob

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Puppylove, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Once I have the pilot light going for the fridge, what's do I set the level at on the knob?..low, med, high? Is this to adjust the pilot light flame? Also, the fridge can be set between 1-7. Does anyone actually set these wimpy fridges anything lower than 7?!

2. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

It looks like a pilot light, but that’s the actual burner for the fridge. It’s small.

Summer I always put it on high. Fall/spring I turn it to medium at night so stuff doesn’t freeze.

The 1-7 dial is for running it on Shore power (nothing to do with the propane). The manual from Dometic is not clear, but I do believe 7 is the coldest setting.

Puppylove likes this.
  3. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Thank you thank you. This is soooo helpful! I'm not against reading manuals, but I find our manual for the pup and fridge to be nothing but pages of technical specs and very little content on how to actually work anything.

4. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

On shore power and with the dial for the fridge at 7, it was not getting cold at all...even after several hours. So I put some frozen water bottles in there to help it along. Now I'm wondering if indeed number 1 is lowest!

5. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

[RTM]Alright, I breathed in some patience, read the fridge manual and it say, "if you wish a higher temperature in the cooling compartment, set the knob to a lower position." I wish for a lower temperature, so 7 it is. [:>(]

6. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

Can take up to 24 hours to cool, also, works much more efficiently when stuff is in it. Best bet is to precool before you leave, and put stuff that was already cold or frozen into it. You don't really want it to have to cool food down from room temperature, you just want it to maintain coolness on stuff that is already at the correct temperature. If you filled it with cans of warm pop it would probably take days to get them to drinking temperature.

Econ and Puppylove like this.
  7. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

The electric heaters are thermostatically controlled to turn on or off. The dial setting numbers are references as to where that on/off temperature is.
    The propane heater often does not have a self-igniter (electric, if there is an self-igniter), so there is often no automatic "on/off" capability to regulate the cooling. The cooling capacity on propane is controlled by the amount of heat emitted by the flame. A bigger flame is more heat and therefore more cooling. BUT, ........
    The amount of cooling is relative to the environment in which the fridge is located. In the shade or in cooler weather, there is less difference between the desired fridge interior temp and the outside, so less cooling is wanted. On electric the thermostat remains 'off' longer, and 'on' less to automatically regulate the fridge interior. On propane, without this on/off cycling capability, the flame needs to be decreased by you.

8. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Very good information...thank you!