Adjusting Lift Height

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by BBStacker, Nov 3, 2016.

1. BBStacker

BBStacker New Member

At a very late age I decided to start pup up camping again so I purchased a 10 year old (2007) Fleetwood/Coleman Americana Utah series pup with an after market AC unit on the roof. I've had it out on several trips so far and absolutely love it . . . except for installing the door. Installing the door is a nightmare. The roof just doesn't raise high enough. I have to force it up while standing on the step.
    So somewhere on this site I found the lift system manual and sure enough its got a couple pages dedicated to adjusting lift height. There are two procedures - one for the dealership and one for the owner. The one for the owner has me adjusting a pulley bracket on the corner of each cable.
    I'm good with that. I found the brackets on my pup and figured out how to do it.

But I'm wondering if I will succeed! Has anyone tried this procedure? Would like to hear your story.

Because of my age forcing the roof up is a non-starter and will result in me getting rid of the pop up.

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

The pulley adjustment procedure is probably more adjustment than you need. I think that is more of an adjustment reset for when your cables get stretched out.

3. rustybronco

rustybronco Member

I adjusted the cables on my 1992 Sequoia and had to move a pulley because one cable had stretched beyond normal adjustment. I can't speak of your particular unit, but I would imagine that it is a simple job if you are mechanically inclined.

4. BBStacker

BBStacker New Member

It turned out the job was indeed simple except for the one bracket that was directly under two water lines. But the adjustment made no difference at all in the roof height. I'm still unable to install the door. So I guess I'll look at the other adjustment that is for the dealership to perform. This will be a good winter project I think.

5. tsc

tsc Member

Not sure if this would help or not

https://he-ruide.smugmug.com/Instructional/Adjusting-the-height-of-the

6. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Strange that it didn't make any difference. Check to make sure that none of your cables have jumped out of the pulleys anywhere. Check the visible pulleys underneath and around the back of the lift arms with the roof up.

ckelly02 likes this.
  7. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Had the same issue with my door. You can certainly do this, I did it in my driveway and it took me some time to figure out just how much adjustment I needed. I measured the height of my roof at each corner and in my case, the front of the roof was at a different height than the back of the roof by over an inch. The pulley adjustments might have worked for me, but I needed a little more precision. I raised two corners the same amount, now all four corners are at the same height and I can install my door again. It took some time, raising and lowering a few times, but it got done.

With the roof raised, measure the height at each corner, doesn't matter what you use as a reference mark at the bottom as long as you are consistent on each corner. That will tell you if the roof is level, or if one side or one corner is higher or lower. If you are planning on making the adjustment of the whiffletree yourself, you'll need to know how to adjust each cable individually. Lower the roof, remove the whiffletree cover under the PUP (rectangular piece of metal). Likely you'll have to clean out debris to get a clear view of the whiffletree itself. Make note of which corner each cable runs to. Small adjustments make a big difference. You'll have to experiment to raise it to the appropriate height. Rule of thumb I learned from my Fleetwood dealer years ago, there is no set height they use, just raise until the canvas is taught but not so tight the canvas is stretching.

Don't forget two important things. First, replace the metal cover before raising the roof. Every time. Without the cover, the stress of the roof raising and lowering can damage the frame. Second, once you are satisfied with the height, don't forget to add grease to the "floor" of the metal cover itself. The whiffletree slides along the metal cover and the grease makes a big difference.

Good luck!

8. hhubbard19

hhubbard19 New Member

This sounds like exactly what I need to do for my roof. Is there a step by step diagram anywhere? Can you please include it for me.

9. hhubbard19

hhubbard19 New Member

Can you please include a link to the lift adjustment manual you are referring to?

10. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

hhubbard19 it would be helpful to know your year, make and model of camper. Then you should look for the right owners manual on this portal in the Owner's Manual section. You can also try another thread on this site called "Fleetwood Top Height Adjustment" http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=44430.msg319894#msg319894

or this one which has some photos http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=63060.msg539282#msg539282

There is no set height for the camper, just adjust until the canvas is taught but not TOO tight, and all four corners are at the same height.

Hope this helps...