adjusting the roof. Uneven front to back.

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Mr. Bill, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I have about 1/2 inch more height (measured from sill to lip) in the front than I do the back. This makes my door bind some. I know where to do the adjustment (back of trailer). My question is, do I make the adjustment with the roof up, down, or somewhere in between?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would think not all the way up, maybe even blocked up to take the load off the cables as you make the adjustment.

3. travler

travler New Member

I also have the same problem but the front of the roof is 1" higher than the rear.

4. coreman23

coreman23 New Member

I just raised my roof and it was pretty easy. I have a coleman, but I'm sure it's the same for others. I raise the roof just enough to pull the beds out about a foot. Then lower the roof onto the beds to get some slack in the cables.

Under each corner, there is a pulley and you will see three holes. These holes allow you to adjust how high the top will go. See if they are all in the same position. It's possible someone adjusted just two of them.

Each pulley is held with a pin and a clip. Remove the clip, push up the pin, adjust and reinstall. Do this to the sagging end.

From what I have read, each hole adjusts approx 1 1/2".

5. Mr. Bill

I know that for mine, I need to adjust a pully in the back of the PUP on the frame. I am just wondering if I should have it down, adjust and put up, down, adjust and put up, etc. or if I do it with it up?

here is a copy of what I have in case anyone else has a similar setup.

[​IMG]

6. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

When I considered doing this (before I learned of my bent frame problem), I was told to do it with the top down. However, I will say that my dealer mechanic told me that anything less than 1" difference isn't worth messing with....but only you know how your door fits.

When my front to rear was off by 4", I only had a slightly crooked door..still worked fine.

7. Mr. Bill

Maybe I need more help at what the problem could be.

In the down position, the door (bottom part only) opens and shuts fine.

In the up position, to have the door frame sitting on the frame in the grooves for it, the door hits on the bottom and the frame has big gaps in the top. If I have the camper level and I raise the top beyond where it should go and the frame is sitting high, the door will open and shut without much trouble.

I only want the door to shut correctly so we don't have to slam it or try to lift the corner to make it shut.

Should be able to do this this week. My plan is to make sure it is level, put it down, have slack on the cable, make an adjustment and lift it up. Repeat as necessary to make it fit correctly. Readjust the tension cable (red cable in the corner) when done.