advice: Coleman Fleetwood Niagara '99/2000

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by KiltedsAdventures, Feb 12, 2020 at 10:57 PM.

1. KiltedsAdventures

KiltedsAdventures New Member

Hi All!
    My wife have been looking for a few months for a popup with slide out dinette to upgrade from tent camping. We found a local listing for a Coleman Niagara, it's either a '99 or 2000 year model. The inside looks very good and the floor is solid, all appliances work, crank handles great, etc. However, as is typical with these models the ABS roof is cracked and possibly delaminated. And this one seems to be cracked pretty badly in some spots. Please see my video which shows the corners crack, and the majority of the worse cracks. Can these be repaired? We were thinking of using the Pop Up Princess method of fixing the roof. Will that work for cracks as severe as these? I also have an album in IMGUR for more perspectives. Please help! We really like this one, but want to know if it will be worth our trouble, and even possible, for us to repair. Despite the cracks, water does not seem to have affected the inside of the trailer yet. other videos here, here, and here.

Many Thanks in advance for the advice!!

2. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Personally… unless you have the space, time, and skills to rebuild a roof, pass on that one. If the roof is cracked, and the camper hasn't been stored indoors (or at least covered well), there's water ingress for sure. If you're lucky, and the roof is dry inside, you'll have to coat it first thing.

When I was looking, I first found a '98 Bayside. The seller had coated the ABS roof (using bedliner?), which is one way of keeping the dang thing from leaking. It also had a slideout, and felt really spacious. There was some leakage in the storage compartment, though. It was probably best that I didn't have anything to properly tow it with at the time.

I'm concerned that it's "either a '99 or 2000 year model." Does the seller not have a title to nail down the year? You want to have a clear title. If (s)he isn't clear on that, it's likely (s)he isn't terribly knowledgeable about the camper and hasn't maintained it properly. That isn't necessarily a show-stopper, but it does mean you've got some work cut out for you. Between that, and the condition of the roof, "it's a no from me."

3. KiltedsAdventures

Thanks for chiming in. But, did you by chance take a gander at the video and picture album? Inside is very good, no water, no stains, no leaks.

They had it listed as a'99, but the owners manual, title, etc. gave 2000, which is why I listed it that way. They have VERY detailed paperwork including all the original documents, etc.

We are looking to go the bedliner route to fix this roof. Have you attempted that method?

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't leak as its a one peice foam core. The outside is just cracked. Search the site for abs repairs. I would strip the top of abs and coat with grizzly grip. Others have luck with the patching, i didnt. There nice campers and will last of maintined. But they are older and will require fixes to stuff.

KiltedsAdventures likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Looks in decent shape, has the foor support brace. Make sure it all works. Might be worth it.

6. Sjm9911

7. KiltedsAdventures

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciated! Will check that out. Everything looks good, and works well, it's just the roof has me concerned. (but we are not afraid of getting our hands dirty at all to repair it.)

8. KiltedsAdventures

We were looking at using Grizzly grip! That's good to hear it recommended as a solution.

9. Sjm9911

The problem that whatever you do will be a fix. How long that lasts , forever or a few years is debated. I tried to fix mine with the abs slurry, and had no luck it recracked. Mine never leaked in the camper. If you are redoing the roof or sealing it , you will need to take off the ac and put a new gaskit on. Other have had better success then me. The removal of the exterior abs looks like it holds up the best.

KiltedsAdventures likes this.