Advice for camping with 7 month old in Colorado summer

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Blue_5280, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Blue_5280

Blue_5280 New Member

We’ve been camping with our two labradors in our PUP for over a year now. We do not have a built in heater and don’t trust the heater buddy when sleeping. We have a 3 month old who will be 7 months when we camp with her. What’s your advice for Colorado cooler summer nights and a 7 month old baby (human)? Well aware temps where we camp get down to 30-40s in summer at night. We are considering moving up into an aliner or taxa cricket but not sure if the spend is worth it with a smaller space inside.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Electric site, with a electric heater. Get pugs for the tenting and reflexex for the windows.

firepit likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

And make sure you have a co detecter / smoke detecter and the propane alarm works. Cheap insurance.

firepit likes this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We’ve been taking our kids camping in below freezing temps since they were 3-4 months old. We don’t run the heater all night and use a big double wide sleeping bag. Kiddos slept between us. They’re tougher than you think

5. Blue_5280

Blue_5280 New Member

It’s our first kid so we are newbies - we don’t cosleep with her and don’t plant too. Maybe we can layer her in a sleep suit.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Oh. First kid. Lol. Yeah I totally understand. Sleep suit will work. I remember when we first started taking our daughter camping. My mother in law was convinced she would freeze to death during the night. Believe me they wake up long before that.

Blue_5280 and kcsa75 like this.
  7. Blue_5280

Blue_5280 New Member

Do you used the internal bunk liner gizmo? I feel that makes the most sense for heat retention.

8. Sjm9911

I did not. I kinda keep to the warmer months. Look into the gizmos. Pug , pop up gizmo, and the reflexdex (sp) ar the home improvement stores for the windows. They will help a ton. Addtionally, some put the foam squares under there mattresses, for confert and a bit of insulation.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Camp in electric sites or rent a condo. I did not even want to go camping when my children were in diapers, we rented condos in the mountains. I have twins , so it would of been twice the amount of diapers.

10. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Agree on electric sites and ceramic heater or good sleeping bags.
    I never use my furnace if on a electric site...No sense in using my propane
    when I have unlimited electricity that I paid for.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

With a thick furry onesy sleep suit, the baby will be fine. Just make sure they are well fed and cover them appropriately and they will be pretty warm. It also stays a bit warmer in the camper than it does for the lows outside. Little kids are pretty durable once they get 6 months or so old.

Kellita Camper and gladecreekwy like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Kellita Camper and firepit like this.
  13. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Classic...everybody should own a leg lamp as well

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. bayport

bayport New Member

We’ve camped in the Rockies with a 6 month. We put her in a sleep sack and/or a Patagonia bunting.

15. Ratherbecamping

Ratherbecamping Active Member

16. CentralMtnsExploring

CentralMtnsExploring New Member

We took our then 2 month old up to northern CO last October and it got fairly chilly (mid 20's). We do have a furnace and used it; also used the Pop Up Gizmos and bunk end liners and they seemed to make a difference. As others have already said, fleece onsies and a warm bunting are great. They're little furnaces themselves after all. I think the baby slept the best out of any of us. Beyond that we have a variety of travel bassinets / light pack and play type things that we put on the mattress next to one of us. Not quite co-sleeping but close, and much easier to check on things than a separate set up.

I wouldn't be too worried about using the Little Buddy or Buddy Heater; the low O2 shut off will kill it long before it sets off the CO alarm. In the summer the low won't hit until right before sunrise anyway, and you should have plenty of retained heat in the PUP to get you through until then.

17. Blue_5280

Blue_5280 New Member

Great info!

18. Blue_5280

Blue_5280 New Member

I’m looking into the gizmo setup inside and out. Can you send me a pic of the bunk liners in your pup? I have a Starcraft starflyer which is similar to yours.

19. CentralMtnsExploring

CentralMtnsExploring New Member

Looking through photos, I don't have any better ones of the full set-up than the pictures on the PUP Gizmos website. For the bunkend covers I'd suggest the Super High Wind covers; it's windy in the mountains. Here's one of the girl in the morning with the liners in the background:

upload_2021-3-2_10-19-35.png

20. Blue_5280

Blue_5280 New Member

Awesome! Yeah I couldn’t tell from the gizmo website if the inside setup looks like a spaceship because of them. Must work! I’m going to order them in April and test them out in 40s to see what temp we get with and without the heater buddy. Where you guys been camping? We’ve had to drive up 10 miles of forest road last year in Salida to find a spot - zoo out there in Colorado camp scene.