Advice for camping with 7 month old in Colorado summer

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Blue_5280, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Blue_5280

Blue_5280 New Member

2. Ratherbecamping

Ratherbecamping Active Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Glad I could help! I’m bet it will work great. We layered my son in 4 layers of fleece sleep sacks and he was still cold. And diaper changes were a nightmare!

Blue_5280 likes this.
  3. Blue_5280

Blue_5280 New Member

Yes I could imagine. Less is better when they have a blowout.

4. ang3l12

ang3l12 New Member

We went a few times last year with our one (almost 2 at the time) year old, in Southern CO, with lows in the low 30's.

Ran our heater, and she co-slept with us at that point.

Since we have a camper, we try to make the bad as nice as it can be, so no sleeping bags for us, just some jersey knit sheets (old ones that had been decommissioned from in the house) and bring along extra blankets and a comforter.

Now that we are due with #2 may 15th, I'm trying to find the best way to get the camping trips in and keep him comfy too.

First task is to replace the heater thermostat with a digital one, as well as 3d print a mount for it so that it can be removed from the wall by the floor, and placed up higher / nearer to our bed. This should help keep heater running at a more consistent rate, as last summer I kept having to get up and adjust it. It would get way too hot, then not hot enough.

Second thing is to put some of that silver, bubble-wrap looking insulation in the windows at night, as well as some up top. Can't really afford the pop-up gizmos, but I'm sure I can figure something out that will look nice and be functional.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else I can do, without getting that done and testing it out in the driveway for a night or two.

5. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

We did this in our tenting days. We coslept with our youngest inside an appropriate sleeping bag with us and had them in a warm fleece onesie as well. The weight of the bag wasn’t on top of them as they were in the bag with one of us. To each their own. It can be done though.

Baby wearing during the day kept them warm, it was the changing diapers in the cold that sucked lol that’s the real issue.

6. JustinG

JustinG New Member

We are in Colorado. We had the same concerns with our oldest when we took him tent camping at 10 months. We layered him and put him in a 3.5 TOG sleep suit. He stayed warm all night with no heater. A hat wouldn’t hurt either if it’s getting into the 40’s. As someone else said, they are way more resilient than we give them credit for.

Blue_5280 likes this.