Advice on possible roof problems

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by pool2917, Oct 25, 2018.

1. pool2917

pool2917 New Member

Hello! I am looking at purchasing my first pop up, and my family and I have found one that has all the features we are looking for. Only problem is that it seems to have a slight leak somewhere. The seller says that it leaks around the AC during heavy rain. The seller of course makes it seem like it is no big deal... How hard would it be to fix (for someone that is new to all this and is moderately handy) and is it worth looking at?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

A good portion of your ceiling is soaked and ruined The luan , the foam insulation etc. is shot but if you feel you can do a roof rebuild go for it . Hope you'd get this PUP for next to nothing though .

kitphantom likes this.
  3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem. The interior of the roof needs to be completely disassembled. The paneling is toast. Open it up, let it dry out. Replace any damaged wood, and re panel the ceiling. The leaking is likely coming from a failed air conditioner gasket. Replace that as well.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

A roof leak is ALWAYS a big deal. If it was not addressed immediately, the problems that follow are always bad, including a rotted roof. Either the seller has no idea what this leak means or he is hiding something. Either way, it is not good.

As stated above, the leak can be fixed with a new AC gasket (cheap).The damage will have to be determined by removing the AC, but if you already see warping, the damage has been done (expensive).

5. pool2917

pool2917 New Member

Can this all be done without taking the roof off? Work from the inside?

6. pool2917

pool2917 New Member

Is this the inside panels?

7. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

As long as the rott (assuming there is some) hasn't compromised any structure in the roof, then you can leave the roof on. Just remove the paneling and you will see the structure of the roof with foam board between the framing.

pool2917 likes this.
  8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

pool2917 likes this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Hard to say and even harder to see what is leaking without taking the interior panels off and checking for damage, that damage will depend on roof removal or repair with the roof intact on the unit.
    BTW Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia....
    Unless you can get this pup real cheap....walk away from it. I doubt the owner is willing to pull the paneling out for an inspection and then come down on his price.

Dback2k4 likes this.
  11. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

No trailer has a "slight" leak - it's either leaking or it's not and if it's the former then it's serious. From your pics it looks like this is a Coleman / Fleetood popup but if you'd tell us the model & year we can tell you what type of roof it should have and what to look out for. Especially if this is an AlumiTite a.k.a. AlumiLeak roof I'd walk away - you just don't need that kind of grief.

12. pool2917

pool2917 New Member

2006 Fleetwood Niagara

13. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

yes

14. GreyFox

A 2006 Niagara is one of 2 highwall models manufactured by Fleetwood that year and should have a single seam aluminum skin roof which is not commonly known for leakage provided that centre seam is properly caulked. When installing A/C on this style of roof it's mandatory for the A/C roof gasket seal properly, especially because of the centre seam - if not installed properly it's sure to leak so the original owner's assessment that this is the source of the leak may be correct. What he's not correct about is the severity of the leak which in this case has clearly destroyed the interior of this roof. JMO but I'd pass.

15. GreyFox

Duplicate post [B)]

16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Y'up, that's a much bigger issue than a "no-big-deal". I would assume that the top would need to come off to
    properly repair it. Not that it's beyond fixable, because anything man made can be fixed. The question is simply;
    are you prepared and capable of doing the work? It's one of those things that can turn a great idea into a nightmare,
    if you know what I mean.

Now, having said that, if you have an indoor area that would allow you to remove the AC, then remove the roof
    in order to tear it apart and replace all that rot over the Winter, AND you can get the thing cheap enough which
    is probably considerably less than what the seller is asking at the moment, then I say go for it. I mean anything,
    bought cheap enough, can turn into something you can use for years to come.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Well , did you buy or pass ?

18. Jdfjbird

Jdfjbird New Member

So what opinions about a 2002 coleman bayside???? Doesn't seem to have any internal roof issues. But on the external I do see hairline cracking on rooftop.

19. GreyFox

A 2002 Fleetwood Bayside will have an infamous ABS Strata roof which can fail in many ways - lateral sagging, blistering, bubbling, cracking, and delamination of the outer skin, partial or full loss of the perimeter seal - just to name a few. [!] Hairline cracks are just the beginning - again, you don't need this grief. PASS. [XX(]

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ill disagree with that. Abs roofs can be fixed. There not known to leak as the inner core is fiberglass. That year shouldent have sag issues as i belive the inner bracing is in them. They started using the braceing starting half way through the 2000s. You can repair or strip off the abs and re coat the fiberglass. I have no clue what an perimeter seal is. If your talking about the roof seal, thats easlily replaced also, and usally gets done with the roof repair. I would use it as a price reduction and buy it. I did the same with an older model.