Advice please?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Nktidwel, Jan 14, 2022 at 3:56 PM.

Tags:
  1. Nktidwel

Nktidwel New Member

I've recently acquired a 2004 Viking Epic 1706 for the cost of going to pick it up the next town over. Knowing it's price and that it had been sitting for a long time, I figured there would be things that would need to be fixed. I figured worst case scenario, I could salvage the trailer and appliances and save a huge chunk building a camper.
    I have no clue as to terminology, I've never owned any type of camper.

Anyway. On the road side rear of the camper the metal telescoping support part isn't attached at all, top or bottom. (1st pic).

There's a part currently tied to the bumper. (2nd pic)

And then there's the crank system. The chain pops off and where the handle attaches wiggles a ton. (3rd pic)

Attached Files:

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Unless you know what you're doing in repairing the camper, you just bought a paperweight.

Raycfe and xxxapache like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm not familiar with the Viking lift but if you can track down who makes the lift system you might be able to track down a diagram. From your pictures it doesn't look too promising. Finding old parts for popups is not easy and shipping can be expensive.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If it was free, try to lift the roof after diconecting any cables. It may not be worth doing anything with but striping for parts.

6. Nktidwel

Nktidwel New Member

It was free. Interior needs a deep cleaning and a couple minor repairs. I have opened it up completely and put a 2x4 in the one messed up corner to hold it up while I was inside. I haven't hooked up electrical or propane yet. Might hook a battery and maybe city water to it tomorrow. The floor was solid as were the bunks. 3 way fridge, gas stove, heater, and connverter are present, but untested. Some screens and some darker vinyl in the windows need repair.

7. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Sounds like a new adventure.

Nktidwel likes this.
  8. Nktidwel

Nktidwel New Member

9. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The C&R system you linked is an approach. My first pop up, the LTL Gasser used that style system. While it worked, raising and lowering was a fair bit carnival like, though to be fair my unit was old. I didn’t care for the mount system, which was simply a 9/16” +/- bolt through the sides. My biggest complaint was the care it took to not snag the canvas or especially the screens when lowering.

All that typed, I certainly understand considering a low tech, and I’ll guess lower cost approach. It may pay to check out Canvas Replacements. Last time I was on their site, they had the same type lift arms. Maybe for less $$ maybe not.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do….

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 3:53 AM
    Nktidwel likes this.
  10. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

You will need to be sure that the sidewalls can support that kind of weight if you are attaching it. The original system may go to the floor and your changing where the weight load is carried.

It also says for 8-10ft trailers so be carefull. Those roofs that use winch systems weigh several hundred pounds.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    Nktidwel likes this.
  11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Enjoy the journey.

One word of caution be very aware of how the roof is supported while you are working on it. It's a lot of weight that potentially could come quickly crashing down.

Nktidwel likes this.