Advice-Washington State Summer

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Kybrowns1, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Kybrowns1

Kybrowns1 New Member

Hello all,

Wife and family are planning on spending at least a month in the Washington State area this Summer. We live in KY but have been to Washington State several times since my wife is from Yakima. Usually we stay in a hotel while visiting her friends in Yakima and Seattle. I was hoping to stay in the PopUp somewhere between the two in the mountains. My popup requires shade and some elevation might be helpful in the summer months. Two years ago we stayed in the Olympic National park near La Push. That was popup heaven.

I have already been investigating Mt. Rainer campgrounds. They look like a nice cool stop.

Any helpful tips are appreciated. My kids and I also like swimming holes. We are not afraid of cold dips in mountain rivers and lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

If the goal is to locate between Seattle and Yakima, you have a BUNCH of options. The area between the two is largely either the Wenatchee or Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forests depending on which side of the cascades you settle on, east or west. There are several USFS campgrounds between there depending on how far off the beaten path you go and of course Boon-docking or dispersed camping in USFS speak is available. All your mentioned requirements should be available somewhere in between.

A good info source is the specific Forest websites at: www.fs.usda.gov. Then navigate to the specific Forests you are curious about.

Good Luck and hope it helps.

3. Kybrowns1

Kybrowns1 New Member

I guess I should asked, what are your favorites. Any special places I should not miss out on.

Thanks

4. Yes Dear

Yes Dear Member

Also you can go to the Washington state park web site for info on all the state parks that take reservations.

5. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

There are 100's of great campsites between the two. So we need more info, hook-ups, cell phone, lake, river or salt water, hot (east side) cooler (west side) closer to one or the other, near a town or out in the boondocks?

6. Kybrowns1

Kybrowns1 New Member

Hook ups are not need. My Quicksilver popup is very basic. It has window AC that really only cools well after the sun is down or parked in shaded area. I'm pulling it with a mini van so rough off road stuff is out of the question.

Just looking for an place in that area between Yakima and Seattle that stands out in your experience. Like I said before a cool, shaded spot with a swimming hole that you like would be great.

7. Heartman_wa

8. Kybrowns1

Kybrowns1 New Member

9. ollodart

ollodart Member

I would stay at Ohanapechose in Mt. Rainier National Park. It's a favorite and close to the Grove of the Patriarchs - thousand year old trees.

Another favorite is Lake Kachees on Snoquamie Pass. Fresh water lake for swimming.

Around Seattle is Fort Flagler and Fort Worden on the West side of Admirality inlet. This is beach camping and mighty fine.

Oceans Shores State Park on the coast is also great.

I would not worry about AC in the Seattle area. Just heat at night.

10. Kybrowns1

Kybrowns1 New Member

Thanks dracarys! Sounds Good

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

12. Kybrowns1

Kybrowns1 New Member

Thanks. I didn't know there was campground review section.

13. tika56

tika56 Member

I like the North Cascades area- or Mt Baker/Baker lake area. They are Forest service areas, so more rustic and less populated, but still very popular.

14. Heartman_wa

15. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I went to Washington and Oregon last summer from Massachusetts. My favorite spot was Mount Rainier. You should also check out the Coulees at Sun Lakes- Dry Falls caused by the Missoula floods. The North Cascades are really nice but it rained while I was there and I didn't really get to see the mountains. You can check out my trip on hoffsalinertravels.net.

16. Kybrowns1

Kybrowns1 New Member

I will check it out. Thanks

17. mrobuck

mrobuck New Member

If you don't mind going out of your way and get to Seattle from Yakima in a more round about way, I highly recommend North Cascades National Park and driving 20. The Mountains there are amazing. We did this last year and LOVED it. We stayed at the Winthrop KOA - which the kids loved. The next time we go though, we'd probably try the Pine Near RV Park and Campground as the town of Winthrop is a great little town.

18. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Where is this? I've tried to look it up but I can't find it. Is it a Federal campground or ?

19. Heartman_wa

Ohanapecosh is in Mt. Rainier NP It's the SE entrance to the park. Just off Hwy 12.

20. ollodart

ollodart Member