Advise on Wood Damage needed plz

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by KellyMM, Aug 28, 2018.

1. KellyMM

KellyMM New Member

I just bought a used 2006 Palomino, its in amazing condition, clean, mostly garage kept, love it. When we went to see it, they had it popped up and it had been raining, so I was able to see where there was a slight bleed through on the tent windows, nothing a good cleaning with woollite and treatment with 303 can't take care of. However, when I was unhooking I noticed the seal on the front was basically bad. So when it was dry and I cleaned her up and used seal as I use for my boat to reseal it. When I popped it up, I only went about 1/2 way when I noticed the inside support board that runs across the front of the trailer is completely rotted, so this had been in the rain more than told. All other wood is 100% perfect. I called the local RV place and asked if they could replace it and of course got the "oh no, we have to replace the entire roof..bla, bla, bla,bla". I am hoping to get some ideas from this group. Today I have her up 1/2 way with a fan to try and dry it out. I originally thought if it wasn't horrible I could use something dry wood rot product, to harden it. But honestly, its like a sponge. Its a piece of particle board, that has 2 corner brackets and 2 screws for the tent. I would think you could undo the screws and scrape it out and replace it with a clean board. The corner brackets screws do not line up with the screws on the molding outside so I don't really think a new roof is needed. The back if perfectly clean. Suggestions??? rear.jpg front wood.jpg outside seal.jpg corner bracket.jpg front wood.jpg

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I would take the rotted wood out and replace it with marine grade plywood.

myride likes this.
  3. KellyMM

KellyMM New Member

So you think I should be able to take the corner brackets and 2 tent screws off without issue and remove the rot and replace it . The RV service place mentioned something like its glued to the roof, so do you suggest using a glue to adhere it?

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I don't use glue. It delaminates with water & heat.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Be prepared to find more rot when you start taking the roof apart

6. campingranny

campingranny Active Member

So how's the repair going? I have a 2010 palomino and have exactly that same damage. I have been hacking away at this for 3 days now with a 2 inch putty knife and a pair of needle nose pliars. I have most of it off except for a very thin layer of wafer board. I think its thin enough that it will dry the rest of the way.'m afraid to go much further because I don't want to go thru the aluminum. I'm planning on putting in a piece of 1/2 inch ply with lock tite adhesive, and clamp it down. A previous poster said not to use glue but didn't further elaborate. Don;t now what else to use. Also where the screws are I plan on cutting that part out of the ply and put flexable caulk around it. I didn't take the tent off to do this. My biggest problem right now is the upper corners they won't budge. Think I might have to get a small rotary tool to get that out.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not mine and never done it, but yes drill out rivits or screws, take rotted wood out. And down after, if you have anything else stuck to the roof. Replace board. Use a multi tool to get to the wood behind the bracket. Dremal might work but might not have the depth. Chisel might work also, I used that for my floor.

KellyMM likes this.
  8. KellyMM

KellyMM New Member

I haven't started yet, the weather has been to wait and I don't have a garage, I may bring it to a friends who has a large indoor riding barn. I did buy the ply as well and have it cut. One of the tent corner screws was already out because of the rot, the other 2 screws turned rather easy. It is like sponge so I think it will basically fall off once I start messing with it. The corner brackets are not part of the actual roof corners and I was able to take 1 out pretty easy, its my project as soon as the weather cooperates. Post pictures after you are done and let us know how it went.