AEP

mdneal2007

Jun 22, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio
We are looking at camping on the AEP land as we heard it is free to camp there. Any suggestions on this? I haven't heard much and would like to know more before driving down.

roybraddy

Super Active Member
Mar 23, 2016
King George, Virginia
I wasn't aware of AEP LAND (American Electric Power) until you mentioned it... Looks like they have a lot of info on their home page... You probably can find a lot of info on their internet sites about the program...

Roy Ken
SoQ6BfGm.jpg

mdneal2007

Jun 22, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio
I wasn't aware of AEP LAND (American Electric Power) until you mentioned it... Looks like they have a lot of info on their home page... You probably can find a lot of info on their internet sites about the program...

Roy Ken
SoQ6BfGm.jpg
They do have a lot of info on the website but I like to find out more by people who have actually stayed there. It seems like a decent place to stay.

roybraddy

Super Active Member
Mar 23, 2016
King George, Virginia
Hopefully someone on here will dime in soon...

I personally always stay clear of the high power lines as they induce funny things into my ham radio ops haha... I have also heard you might get a hot skin shock from your trailers too as they are NOT grounded to Earth unless you run a ground rod from your trailer frame or be running from Shore Power which is Earth grounded...

This is just me being over cautious haha...

Roy Ken
SoQ6BfGm.jpg

joet

Super Active Member
Mar 16, 2011
Elkins WV area
I know that AEP has a lot of properties along the Kanawha and Ohio rivers that they lease for farming, don't know about camping

Valmr2

Sep 5, 2014
Hopefully someone on here will dime in soon...

I personally always stay clear of the high power lines as they induce funny things into my ham radio ops haha... I have also heard you might get a hot skin shock from your trailers too as they are NOT grounded to Earth unless you run a ground rod from your trailer frame or be running from Shore Power which is Earth grounded...

This is just me being over cautious haha...

Roy Ken
SoQ6BfGm.jpg
I don't remember any power lines around there. It's all re-claimed land from the strip mining they used to do.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
We ended up camping there this fall. Roy there are no electrical polls. No Verizon cell reception and I dont think anyone had reception. Many sites, hand pump water, pot toilets. Sites had many tire ruts from trucks getting stuck. The campground roads are gravel, and people driving fast past the campsites creating a cloud of dust. Your campsite can get dusty if its dry weather.