After a blowout or flat will tire pressure increase on remaining tires

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Ok sounds like a weird question but here is the story. I have a HTT with tandem axles. I was given a Tire Pressure Monitoring system in exchange for a general user review. I loved the system except that it did not have a lost sensor data alarm or notification. If a sensor failed (other than a low battery) it would just display the last pressure it had. In my mind that was almost worse than not knowing at all. However I was also thinking the likely hood of all 4 sensors just dropping out at the same time is probably very low. So if I lost one sensor and got a flat could I tell by what the other tires are doing ? Would I see as sudden increase of pressure and heat ?

If you are wondering I already submitted my review (not positive). This is just for discussion.

Last edited:

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
So you may have a 1 in 4 chance that one of your tires may have an issue which could trash your HTT and TV. o_O

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
re: If a sensor failed (other than a low battery) it would just display the last pressure it had.

that's probably what happened to me on my single axle ALiner in the dark of night. Ruined the tire and the rim.

No more external TPMS for me - I will stick with regular checking (visual and pressure on my tires.

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
So you may have a 1 in 4 chance that one of your tires may have an issue which could trash your HTT and TV. o_O

Yeah I was thinking the same. I fortunately found out before I used them. I installed them and turned on the receiver and then ran to the store (without the camper). The temperature and pressures never changed even though I was 10 miles away. After doing some research I was amazed at how many systems I looked at just displayed the last value. Many of them falsely state they have a lost sensor data alarm as well. If you check out the amazon reviews with low stars you see them similar to what I found. In my case tech support confirmed what I found. I was wondering perhaps I was over thinking it and should be able to see it by how the other tire pressure and temp in the worst case. I can see by Anthony's response that a big no (sorry to hear that BTW). You would think that it would just display "--" or nothing if it doesn't update in 1 min (they pole about every 6 sec).

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Ok sounds like a weird question but here is the story. I have a HTT with tandem axles. I was given a Tire Pressure Monitoring system in exchange for a general user review. I loved the system except that it did not have a lost sensor data alarm or notification. If a sensor failed (other than a low battery) it would just display the last pressure it had. In my mind that was almost worse than not knowing at all. However I was also thinking the likely hood of all 4 sensors just dropping out at the same time is probably very low. So if I lost one sensor and got a flat could I tell by what the other tires are doing ? Would I see as sudden increase of pressure and heat ?

If you are wondering I already submitted my review (not positive). This is just for discussion.
In theory if one of the tires stopped bearing load, the load would be on the other tires. This would compress the other tires more and the reduced volume would cause the pressure to go up.
However there are so many other variables you will not get any practical information from what I just wrote.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
In theory if one of the tires stopped bearing load, the load would be on the other tires. This would compress the other tires more and the reduced volume would cause the pressure to go up.
However there are so many other variables you will not get any practical information from what I just wrote.
I agree. But just from the ones on my truck, there will be a delay in the information of ot does that. . I fill them up and the pressure guage needs time to regester the new pressure. Sometimes ots quick, sometimes it isnt.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
in a tandem axle, if one tire on one side blows or totally leaks, the load transfers to the other tire, and pressure double in response to wheel load doubling. This much is high school statics. This doubling of tire load also increases side wall flex, leading to more heat buildup, and a higher risk of failure in the 2nd tire if you are rolling at normal speed.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
in a tandem axle, if one tire on one side blows or totally leaks, the load transfers to the other tire, and pressure double in response to wheel load doubling...
When the load is transferred to the single tire, the foot print increases from the extra load. Pressure will definitely build, while towing, due to the extra sidewall flex and heat generated. I don't have a tandem axle trailer. Someone that does could check the tire pressures, then deflate one and see what pressure changes are seen in the other tire.

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Combined-Gas-Law.png

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
When the load is transferred to the single tire, the foot print increases from the extra load. Pressure will definitely build, while towing, due to the extra sidewall flex and heat generated. I don't have a tandem axle trailer. Someone that does could check the tire pressures, then deflate one and see what pressure changes are seen in the other tire.

That's a good point. Probably depends on tire - a 12" can't change much compared to a 15"

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
What if the tires are filled with Nitrogen?
It's a gas. Tire will still deform and generate more heat to sidewall flex.

I see no benefit to nitrogen. You never get 100% nitrogen in a tire. Nobody is working in a nitrogen filled room to install tires on rims. If the molecules are so much bigger that the tire does not leak them out, then the nitrogen % should increase every time you add air. That's not happening. You are basically paying for a green valve cap.

Note: Nitrogen is the primary gas in the atmosphere. It makes up 78.084 percent by volume in dry air, and that makes it the most common gas in the atmosphere and the air you put in your tires.

Last edited:

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
Is it the same for the Northern and Southern hemisphere? I have heard that the Coriolis effect could cause issues depending on the rotation of the tire and the hemisphere.

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
That's why I fill my tires with Radon. The cap for that is yellow and black. Oh sure, you can try tungsten hexafloride, but good luck finding a place to top off your tires on the road with that stuff! Radon's around... you can find it at home.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Is it the same for the Northern and Southern hemisphere? I have heard that the Coriolis effect could cause issues depending on the rotation of the tire and the hemisphere.
If you got a flat on the equator in the right tire and then drove to the southern hemisphere the flat would move to the left tire. That's the Carbonaro effect.