after camping: how long until your pups ready to go

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by dave123, Aug 25, 2013.

1. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

we come home on say a monday or tuesday, pull the ice chest out, put the food away and thats IT! no washing anything until the weekend!!!! then its about a slow 10 to 15 days to clean everything and put it away... I want to mentally still be on camping vacation i guess... or not uncharge my hearts battery from all that wonderfull camping.. [SUN] dave ( no stress here baby)

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Gotta put the dirty laundry in the washer [8D]

3. Manper

Manper New Member

I prep for the next trip right away so I am ready at a moments notice

4. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We are ready right away and do a lot of cleaning at the campsite when breaking down.

This causes our breakdown to average about 2 hrs but also makes it so that when I back the popup into the garage and it gets unhitched / unloaded, it is ready to roll for the next trip minus clothes and food.

5. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I also clean everything at the camp site as we are packing up so it's ready to go for the next trip. This lets us drop it off where we store it and never need to open it back up again unless it was raining.

There really isn't that much to it. I strip the beds and put on clean sheets. Clean out the fridge if we used it. Sweep and wipe everything down.

Anything not staying in the pup between trips get put in the truck.

6. halosz

halosz New Member

We do exactly the same.

7. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

^^Ditto on everything Loraura said.^^ We have things that travel in the TV and go back in the house when we get home but the PUP is cleaned as we pack it down and is usually ready to leave as soon as it backs into the driveway. Everything that goes in the house is on a checklist that we print before each trip and check off as we load.

8. Indy

Indy Member

I don't understand the concept of resetting the camper. I clean as I go on the trip - dishes back in their place, counters cleaned as needed. We do most of the cooking and "living" outside. I only use the fridge for sodas and bottled water, so it's a quick wipe down while packing. I really don't even use the water hookups, and we chose no shower/potty intentionally so we could use the camp facilities and not have that to clean. I don't rewash our sleeping bags every time and save that until we're at a location with on-site laundry so I can do that during the day on site. The dirty laundry goes in the TV to get washed at home and repacked for next trip. And the food also goes in the TV to get returned to the home fridge/pantry. Some sealed cans and such may live in the camper til the next trip if we're going again soon. When we get home, we park the camper in the garage and it is ready to go for the next trip.

What is there to do?

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Usually we pop the pup up as soon as we get home. Everything that needs laundering goes in the house, depending on the trip, it can take me a few days to catch up on all the wash. We use real bedding, so the sheets and Polartec blankets get washed every trip; the quilt about every other trip.
    I take my time cleaning the pup, we use throw rugs - washed after every trip, so the floor isn't usually too bad. Yes, we do wipe up as we go along, but we camp in dusty, sandy, gritty places, so there is always a final cleaning to do at home. If I push it, I can have the camper closed up a day or so after we get home.
    We open it to restock and pack just before each trip; we change which blankets we take depending on time of year and destination. When we can, we pack our clothing duffels the weekend before we leave, so they can go in the pup.
    I could do the turn-around faster, but I am trying to learn that slower is less stressful for me much of the time.

10. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

When we close up the PUP at the campsite, it is ready to go for the next trip. I don't change the sheets/pillowcases/polar fleece blankets each time, since we only go out on 2 day weekend trips. If the PUP is parked at our house, I immediately do the laundry and put it back in the PUP. Lately tho, we have been staying at the same resort, so we keep the PUP there. When I pack for the next trip, it's just food, clothes and our meds, and laundry if it is time to change the linen.

11. EV2

EV2 Member

Cleanup before we leave the campground and sheets go into plastic tub. We never popup at home, the tubs come out and the refrig is kept on. When opportunity presents, the fresh food goes into the refrig and tubs go in, fill the fresh water, hookup, and go. Takes about fifteen to thirty minutes.

12. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

24 hour turn a round
    no time to waste

13. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

As we get ready to break camp, we'll normally pull thing out of the camper that need to be washed or refrigerated. We also wipe down the unit and make sure it's clean so we don't have to set it back up right away. We'll also wipe off the bunk canvas to remove the things that will fall in it during the trip. Once home, the wash and things will be done and put aside until our next trip. I usually opened the unit a couple of days before we leave to put the bedding and clothing in the holds. We have turned the unit around in a few days a couple of times. It's a bit of a challenge but always got it done to go camping

14. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I thought i was a bit of a clean freak but maybe not . Some of you folks seem to be opening your PUPS quite a bit and doing a lot of work in between trips
    We keep our PUP fairly clean all the time and we use sleeping bags so once a trip is done we are already for the next trip , except for packing up food clean clothes etc. I've never opened the PUP when i got home unless it was put away wet or to make a repair.

15. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

After our annual 2 week SW Colorado trip, I set up in the driveway and clean, repair and restock for a few days before backing in the garage. Otherwise, all the work is done at the breakdown stage.

16. campermom

campermom Member

I can have the PUP ready to return to fun in about 5 to 8 hours. Open and let it dry and air out, wash all the laundry and restock the dry food items. If only it was only 5 hours between trips [;)].

17. Brate

Brate Bravado!

The pup is ready to go again as soon as the top is down... As far as us, that's another issue.

18. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We pop up when we get home. I'll vacunm, scrub and mop the inside and then clean the outside. Let her dry good and pop down until the next trip. Not a long process at all.

Campit

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Same here. we never open it at home unless it's a big trip, we need to fix it or a mod, the last day camping it was wet and it needs to dry out, or were headed out on a 1+ week trip, or to winterize or -un-winterize it. Food, clothing and dirty/clean laundry we put in the TV when we head out or come back.

That is the one think I hat about a pup is putting it up and down to go on a trip.

20. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We have done turn arounds in 4 hours. Empty cassett pottie, change the gray water hose from having sewer to dry camping container. Add or remove 10 ft inflatable. Swap out dirty clohes for clean and get back on the road.