after looking at all makes/models I have some feedback

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by turborich, Jul 5, 2011.

1. turborich

turborich Active Member

STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING COLEMAN!!!

I can't believe just how cheap the Coleman pop ups are built. I figured they would be the best but that's not the case at all.

I have owned 2 starcraft's and 2 jayco's. They were both far superior to the cheaply built coleman's. the body siding is a cheap sheet metal that's barely thicker than a beer can, the roofs are a super thin ABS or plastic composite material, the underneath of the floor isn't sealed or even water proofed, they easily fall apart.

After owning several pop up's and looking a a bunch of them I would honestly say to avoid any coleman that's made in the 90's - mid 2000's still not sure if there any better now. I've never seen such junk for such $$

If you want quality then get a Jayco or Starcraft. I can't speak for the other brands out there so they may be the same or better quality.

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Thank you for sharing!

3. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Well, thanks for your opinion.

4. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I cant comment on the older Coleman/Fleetwood models. I will say that I am 100% satisfied with my 08 Fleetwood Arcadia. I feel that its built sturdy and so far is holding up just fine. I would not hesitate to buy another Fleetwood even though they are out of business. Not saying I wouldn't look at anything else either.
    I'm pretty sure the bottom is not coated or sealed with anything because the wood under the pup needs to breath if it gets wet and if its sealed it wont dry out or breath all the way.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Interesting how we can form such different opinions. I owned a 2007 Fleetwood (Coleman) Yuma for three years. I did several years of research before buying it. I found Fleetwood to be vastly superior in every aspect to every other PUP I looked at. The frame, tenting material, bunk end support system and lift system are beyond anything any other PUP has.

PS: The undersides of the floor and bunk ends are not supposed to be sealed.

6. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

I have a F/C Cobalt and I'm pretty happy with it. It handles 4wd roads, has the fully boxed frame, e-z lube axle, stays warm, no roof issues (read no abs), and seems to do everything I ask of it. It's funny how people perceive things.
    MR

7. turborich

turborich Active Member

The colemans don't even have torsion axles, everyone that looked at had leaf springs. electric brakes seemed to be an option as well, not standard. The underside of my Jayco was coated with a black spray/barrier from the factory.

I'm just calling it as I see it. Like I said, I'm not sure about the newer ones but the 90's - early 2000 models were without a doubt poorly made. Maybe this will save somebody the trouble of finding this out first hand.

I have decided not to look at anything coleman in the future, I would be open to any other brand. Like I said, I was shocked by the poor quality as I thought that coleman was one of the better ones. everything is plastic! Maybe I'm just picky and know that there are better options.

8. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found something you like. My Coleman is an 89 Newport bare bones "starter" camper. I love it! It's still in great shape. My grandkids & I have more fun in it than in the big TT. The nice thing about different brands & models is that anyone can find something they like.

9. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

We have owned our 91 Coleman for a few years now, and have no complaints. The one piece door system is an improvement over the previous PUP we had. The lift system is also an improvement. The bunkends are sturdier. Our roof is aluminium and after 20 years is still solid and dry. The tenting material is great, an improvement over the old canvas we had. Ours is pretty barebones but it works for us. I've had no complaints with the suspension, ours is pretty light. It didn't come with brakes, but I think many 1250 lbs PUPs didn't come with brakes. I've had fewer bumps while towing than from our previous PUP, that could be because its a ten foot box versus eight so the distance between the hitch and axle is longer. The old one used to be exciting over railway tracks, never any danger, but we felt them. The Coleman, we barely notice over railway tracks.

My coworker bought a brand new Jayco 1007 and after one year of camping, his brakes totally locked up and his weekend was ruined. They had to tow it to a dealer on a flatbed. That doesn't mean I think all Jaycos have brake problems.

To be honest, I think the contruction of most PUPs is pretty similar.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I have a 2011 Flagstaff and do not have any issues with it. One has to stop and think that the sub componets are the same, axles, fridges, etc, so we cannot blame a brake lock up on the pup MFG, or a fridge failure either.
    I like the Flagstaff, but in all proability this winter I will pickup an Aliner and sell the Pup

11. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We haved owned both Jayco and Coleman / Fleetwood:

1996 Coleman Sun Valley

2008 Jayco 1006

2008 Fleetwood Niagara

IMO the Coleman / Fleetwood's have better features and overal build quality, but by no means was the Jayco bad.

My wife however was not that impressed with the build quality of the Jayco. [:(!]

We bought the Jayco brand new and in less than a year the cabinet lamination was starting to peel. Our 1996 Coleman Sun Valley didn't have any cabinet lamination on it whatsoever and it was 12 almost 13 years old when we traded it in on the Jayco.

12. campnc

campnc New Member

" I found Fleetwood to be vastly superior in every aspect to every other PUP I looked at."

I think not, Over priced, yes. Coleman makes a good camper, but most of them are just as good.

13. RonB

RonB New Member

Well......Opinions are opinions.

Not counting tents, we have had seven camping "things" during 30-40 years including two Starcraft PUPs and our current '06 Fleetwood (Coleman) Niagara. Both of the Starcraft were late 70's - early 80's vintage and were pretty good trailers. In terms of comparison, I don't think they were any better than the Niagara. In fact, comparing comfort and appointments, the Niagara is much more comfortable than either Starcraft - but that is more a matter of time and consumer demand. I will say the early Coleman PUP, made in early 80's, were a little roughshod but they improved greatly.

Last year we transitioned from a 5th wheel to a pup and looked at a lot of PUPs and really didn't see that much difference among brands. They use lighter weight materials than some of the big rigs mostly from necessity - weight. We have put about 5,000 miles and four states under or Fleetwood and couldn't be much happier.

RonB

14. kjmpdm

kjmpdm New Member

1. Rare to see a post putting down any brand.
    2. 4 different pups? Seems high turnover rate...
    3. 2009 Westlake has been terrific - features, layout, wearability (still like new after 40+ nights of camping so far) and it's in the entry level category.

15. zuley

zuley New Member

turborich, sounds like you are an expert!! Thanks for your valued opinion. I should probably sell my Coleman now before it starts to fall apart being a POS as you suggest.
    I'm curious what prompted your spewing rant, but nevertheless thank you for enlightening us.

16. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

Don't confuse light weight materials with cheap materials. Just because something is thin or light does not mean it is cheap. Look at a trailmanor and you will find a ton of plastic but it is higher quality strong plastic which is much lighter than wood (all the drawers etc).

I can't see this thread going anywhere good. Very trollish.

17. turborich

turborich Active Member

There is no reason to be a smart ass. I was only calling it how I saw it. If you compare them the coleman's are flimsy and cheaply made. That's what I see. If you like your coleman then I'm happy for you.

18. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

I just bought my 2004 Coleman Sante Fe.....and started to get a bit worried by the first posts of this thread......Thanks to the rest of you for easing my mind a bit....lol

I like the style of the Sante Fe......with the molded caps front and rear...nice interior etc. I guess I will find out about the quality over then next few camping trips

19. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[:)C] Hello. When I was looking to buy a pop up I look many different brands including Jayco. I boughe to the hight a 2003 Coleman Mesa over a new model in any other brand due to its superior construction. Coleman floors aren't sealed due to the high quality engineered wood that is designed to breath. No coating is needed or recomended. In addtion, Coleman trailers have a far superior box frame versus weak C channels on most other models.

20. PopupG

PopupG New Member

I looked at a Jayco before i bought my 04 Fleetwood/Colman, and read many comments about each and come to the conclusion that the Fleedwood was superior, so I bought it and couldn't be happier. The Coleman has Sunbrella canvass which is better then the vinyl of the Jayco, I like the one piece door and the non-flip galley. Also the lift system is more reliable and easier to service, just my opinion and many others.