After market backup cam recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by MaeKay, Feb 7, 2020.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

We sold our 2007 Toyota 4Runner limited and bought a 2013 Sequoia SR5 that does not have a backup camera.

I really liked the backup cam for hitching by myself (I take the kids and the trailer out several times a summer by myself and can usually get it hitched in 1 or 2 tries all by myself). And for the school parking lot which is a disaster.

Any recommended brands? I see some on Amazon for as low as $30 and a couple at Costco for $120-$150. I'm leaning toward the Costco ones but...

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

What stereo do you have? The stock base stereo in my 2014 Prius had the input and programming for the factory backup camera even though my lower trim didn’t come with the camera. I got a kit online for around $100 to add the camera and run the wires to the front and plug into the factory connectors. Then when I shift into reverse it automatically turns it on just as if it came from the factory with it.

I’d try finding a Toyota forum and search around if maybe the Sequoia can do the same. It may cost a little more than some options but is by far the cleanest and simplest option.

On my old F-150 I went with a cheap generic license plate camera and tiny screen from Amazon for maybe $40 total. It worked ok, but was nowhere near as nice as a factory solution.

WVhillbilly, MaeKay and Raycfe like this.
  3. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

that’s an interesting idea. Interestingly my cousin just purchased a 2013 Sequoia SR5 and it displays the backup camera in the rear view mirror. I’ll do some digging on the Toyota forums. Heavens knows there’s a ton of them with a rabid fan base. They’re proved helpful to us in the past. Thanks!
    Oh, and we need to install our trailer break control! That Should be plug and play from my research.

4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Toyota used that same review mirror for all the camera equipped vehicles.
    My FJ had one.
    The wiring is already in your car for it, the factory parts are a little more expensive than aftermarket.
    But so much nicer.

If there isn't a sizeable Sequoia forum just go to TundraTalk, both are built on the same platform.

MaeKay likes this.
  5. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

These are the radio and rear view mirror we have. I’ll have to do some more research but thank you so much for the direction! Would never have known that was possible.

Attached Files:

6. WVhillbilly

Looks just like the dash of my 2010 Tundra.
    The mirror you're looking for has the monitor built into it.
    When you put the truck in reverse it shows up in the mirror.

You could buy the camera and mirror in a package. The wiring is already in your vehicle.

Overland likes this.
  7. WVhillbilly

Rusty2192 likes this.