After suspension lift, need a new jack...

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by bdr129, Oct 19, 2020.

1. bdr129

bdr129 New Member

Well a few months ago, after getting tired of dragging the rear bumper on every anthill I came across, I did the suspension flip. Turns out, its amazing, added a significant amount of lift, was now able to get farther in the backcountry and as an added bonus, the PUP tows better than it ever had, virtually eliminated any sway. After the last trip, the wife and I were doing to usual maintenance, lubricating things that should move but weren't moving very well, and fastening those items that decided to start moving that shouldn't. We noticed a bulge starting to form in the one tire. I was planning on upsizing from the standard 13" rims to 14" rims and new tires this winter as part of a planned overhaul. Well since we had 1 or 2 more trips planned this fall, I went and ordered the new rims/tires from etrailer and installed them this past weekend. Looks great, however, in my shortsightedness, I never accounted that with the lift, nothing I have will reach the lift points to jack the trailer up to change a tire. I ended up using blocking I had laying around the house and made it work, but naturally, would not have that laying around probably if I needed to change a tire along the road. So, I am guessing a lot of folks have done the same suspension lift and ran into this issue. What are some of the recommendations on an affordable, (I know that's very subjective) stable jacking system that would have a reach of about 24" +/-?

Attached Files:

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

get a small floor jack and keep it in the camper.

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

BED8DEB5-740D-4166-B338-FD983ADE308A.jpeg I have this. Jack and stand combo. Very stable Lifts to 21” plenty for my lifted truck and camper. Tough to find one that goes to 24” that’s portable

bdr129 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have 2 bottle jacks and the tv jack. I always bring extra wood for leveling the camper. Or lynx type blocks. This does doubble duty. Goes under stabilizers for secure footings, and tires and toung jack for the same. The extra ceibbing can also be used for jacking up the camper for a tire change. Remember, not everywhere you get a flat will be level and the ability to jack the camper up will depend on what you have with you. Take some blocks with you.

bdr129 likes this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I carry a couple bags of lynx blocks and the caps. They work great to help get some extra height off the jack.

bdr129 and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

its a single axle trailer, just jack up the axle close to the spring or jack up the spring below the perch; there is no need to jack up the camper frame.

its what I do, and have done multiple times, and my camper has the spring-over-axle modification (and consequently my axle has perches top and bottom)

7. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

This is less than $100.00 and is easy. Put it under the axle directly under the spring if it is to low to fit put it right next to the spring just don't move it too far away and never in the middle of the axle. You can also drag the flat tire up on a leveling block to get enough height to get a scissor jack under it. The axle is designed to align and keep everything going in a straight line. When you pick something up as high as the frame is you are going to lose stability. I don't want your PUP mashing the juice out of you on the side of the road.
    http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Pilot/Q-HY-1500L_1.jpg

Anthony Hitchings likes this.