Aftermarket canvas replacement, Show your PICTURES :)

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by davekro, Nov 23, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

The pictures on 'Bear Creek' and 'Canvas Replacements' websites are not very good to show what the color options actually look like, IMO. Please post some pictures of your replacement canvas. Please say which company it was from and the pros and cons you balanced between the two companies. From their websites, it seems BC offers only three colors and not sure if CR offers only one or you get to choose from many colors. (I have not called either yet)

From researching, it seems customers of both rate them each highly. There are some differences between the two though. BC's have a zippered third inner canvas layer on the body portion's windows. That seems a big plus, but their colors are a barrier for me (no blue ;) ).

Anyway, here is a place to show pictures of your replacement canvas as well as describe the pros and cons you discovered so others will learn from your experience and can make this big step more well informed. How were the instructions and actual installation process. Any pre-buying or installation tips?

RVworkshops comes up in Google search too, but they use CR's product.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You might want to also check out the RV Workshop website, 'though I suspect that's another name for Canvas Replacements.

https://www.rvworkshop.com/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  3. GreyFox

Aside from tenting colour you might want to decide if you want tinted windows, clear windows, or you don't care. IIRC most of these tenting manufacturers offer just tinted.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Canvas replacements just had a sale. Should be still on. With them you have a choice of colors etc. great people to deal with. Search them on Facebook for sale that’s where I saw it

bheff likes this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I went with Bear Creek. There was quite the price difference at the time I bought.

Pros:

I absolutely love the tinted windows and interior covers, eliminating the need the curtains. Curtains were always in the way. I still have valances, that I made, that match the theme of our camper, but so happy to ditch the curtains! The only curtains now are the bunk end ones.

It smells like a new car in our camper, rather than musty.

I love the gray color. The vinyl over the bunks is white.

We had to send in our old canvas for measurements, which cost nearly $100, but surprisingly, they took $120 off the cost of the new camper to covering our shipping expense. That was an unexpected surprise.

Super easy installation.

Con:

The canvas is a bit big on the bunk ends. HOWEVER, so was the original canvas and that's where they got their pattern. I would prefer it to fit more tightly like other camper brands. This is specifically a Colmean/Fleetwood problem that is a non-issue with other camper brands.

Pictures to follow tomorrow, as it's dark outside now. We have our camper up, cleaning and packing for a trip so good timing.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Take plenty of pictures as you remove the old canvas.

Both have good reputations, and seem helpful. We ended up going with Canvas Replacements because they had the pattern for our '84 camper, BCC did not, and the canvas was long gone. Color wasn't a deal breaker for us, we just wanted as light as possible, since we live and camp in the desert and high altitudes. They were helpful, we found their version of external lifters better than the originals.

And yes, as I researched canvas replacement a few years ago, there was a site that seemed to be third option,but turned out to be offering Canvas Replacements brand - we figured going directly to CR made more sense.

Have you contacted each to see if they can provide samples?

7. davekro

davekro Active Member

What kind of material is used on the roof of the bunks?
    Since the only compromised portions of my pup's 'canvas' are the (vinyl??) bunk roofs. I am researching what kind of material to possibly sew in/replace my brittle, cracking bunk roofs. Anyone know what the vinyl looking roofs are made of? I see vinyl fabric for awnings and marine use. That is my best guess as to what mine is. I have no idea what thickness (measured as weight/ sq. yd.) should be for this application. But I see also urethane (same as poly urethane i read) coated fabrics. I don't know what this is really.

I'd need 80" wide x ≈3.6 linear yards. Here I see some vinyl material 19 oz. / sq.yd. $35/ linear yd. (≈ $126 for what I need)
    https://www.allvinylfabrics.com/product-category/awning/80-vinyl-awning/

I found 80" wide Sunbrella here for $42/ lin. yd. But I'd prefer to use the same type of 'vinyl looking' material.
    https://www.outdoorfabrics.com/sunbrella-solids-80"wide-marine

8. davekro

davekro Active Member

9. Orchid

20191127_134535.jpg

tzmartin and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. davekro

davekro Active Member

Looks very nice! Is that a 12' box (+2' storage)? I see the 'big bunk side's' roof is bowed up. Did you find a creative way to raise it to use up the bunk end roof looseness you mentioned?

11. Orchid

That's actually just the natural curve of the shepherd's hook. It looks really odd in this photo, like a big hump. [LOL] The sun was really bright and I didn't see the photo before I uploaded it. I'll take a better one when we get set up at Fort Wilderness tomorrow.

I did find a way to counteract the looseness, though. On the king end, it's just one pool noodle on the shepherd's hook. On the small end, I actually have 3 pool noodles. One on the rod, the other two cut lengthwise in half and taped to it to make it thicker. It doesn't look very pretty, but I'm going to sew a cover for it eventually. I just needed to make sure that solution was going to work first, which it does.

With other brands of campers, you probably won't have this issue. Coleman campers are the only ones I have personally ever heard of having extra loose canvas issues.

As far as the box size, I don't even know. :laugh: It's just the right size for us but would have to measure it or look it up to know for sure. It's probably a 12' since it has a bathroom with a shower that takes up a lot of space and there is no slide.

12. davekro

davekro Active Member

Well, you kinda have to measure as the specs never give box length (pet peeve ;) ). From the specs you have to guess from bunk lengths and the (to me) less usefull length closed and fully opened. I agree on 12 guess as 12' seems to always have shower/ toilet combo.

13. GreyFox

Most often but not always. ;) The Rockwood 1950 is a 10' box with a toilet / shower ...

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/camping-trailers/rockwood-tent/1950/928

Orchid's Nevada is a bit of an oddball as well, it too is a 10' box with a toilet / shower and was manufactured only for the 1999 model year ...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/1999_coleman_grand_tour.pdf?16695232820753828628

As I recall Fleetwood manufactured just one Nevada for each of their authorized dealers so it's a pretty rare model.

Orchid and davekro like this.
  14. davekro

davekro Active Member

GreyFox, wow, thanks for a great insight into Orchid's "collectible" pup.

Orchid, if you ever decide to sell you can market it as one of xx! ;)

For DW and I, we consider (though not having had one) consider the shower/ toilet cabinet space to be wasted. We are resigned to the set up if we decide to trade up to a 12'er. We'd love to learn of a 12' floor without a shower/potty cabinet. Our current 10' pup is 14' bumber to tongue (GF, I misspoke in another thread when I said 13.5'). Our side yard storage (and garage when it boots a car out for working on it) allows a maximum of ≈ 16', So, depending on the brand and model, we may be OK with A) a 10' box w/ front storage or B) a 12' box w/o front box. Although we think we may be better off with (A), it seems doubtful to find any (A's) that would also have a slide out.

OK, this motivated me to start a new thread on this unicorn inquiry. ;)
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads...-a-10-box-slide-out-front-storage-bin.127419/