Air Conditioner (Maybe adding one)

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by silvermickey2002, Jan 31, 2014.

What brand of A/C unit do you have?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2014.
  1. Coleman

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Dometic

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Penguin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Advent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Well, the DW and I are talking about our summer vacation and we would like to go south. But, she does not want to deal with the heat and humidity at night while trying to sleep. I can't blame her! So we are thinking about having an A/C unit installed.

Now, I have not done any research yet. What units do you guys have and do you like yours (pros and cons)??

Not sure yet if I want to try to install it myself or bring it to a dealer??? I think the hardest part (Besides cutting the whole in a perfectly good roof) would be lifting the unit up and into place!!!

Also, what BTU rating would be good!!

2. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Be sure roof is braced enough to handle extra weight of AC!!!

3. silvermickey2002

Yup, the A/C braces came installed from the factory...

4. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Good deal. 13500 BTU is pretty much standard unless you have a LARGE PUP. Also I would try to get the low profile type to reduce wind drag.

5. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I would go with a 13,500 btu unit. They are not hard to install, if you have a roof vent you can remove it and use that opening. I ordered mine on line and installed it myself. Only problem was hooking up electrical and I installed a 2 circuit panel and used one for the a/c and the other to hook up inverted to rest of camper. Get help to place unit on roof not real heavy, but you have to reach to reach where you want it, can't slid it around too much without messing up gasket.

6. silvermickey2002

Well, the good news is that the pup came with a 30 amp outlet. It also has four plastic buttons on the ceiling marking the 14" x 14" opening where to cut for a vent or A/C unit. So I'm good there!!

So far I am looking at a 13.5 BTU unit. The Coleman Mach 8 unit is looking mighty fine so far and only weighs 90 Lbs.

7. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

8. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

We had (well still have...long story) a pop up with a window AC unit installed in the back of the Pup. It was like that when we bought it - while it does work, its not the greatest design.

DW and I slept on the rear bunk, over the AC, which means we had to listen to the the compressor running, and feel the vibration. The worst part was, we didn't get any of the AC......we had to set up a fan near the other bunk to blow the cold air back at us.

The new PUP has a roof unit. While we haven't used it yet (bought it in November), the AC and heat is distributed much more evenly.

9. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

Looks like you got it figured out [?:~{]

10. wcasey5

wcasey5 New Member

I've got a carrier 13,500 btu unit. It works great and I wouldn't camp without it. What would make it perfect would be a a remote control, which is available. That way I wouldn't have to get out of bed to turn it up or down. Ours has a heating coil as well which isn't very effective, but does make a bit of a difference in mildly cold weather.

11. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

[RTM] We have a 13,500 Dometic and it works great in our fairly large PUP. Installing the unit is not hard, you will need an installation kit purchased separately that has a "frame" that fits into the hole you cut, or vent that you replace. Anytime you spend on the roof of your PUP be careful to distribute the weight with a sheet of plywood ... even then put most of your body weight on a ladder. I have mentioned this before, if you do not already have a surge protector ... get one. Burning up your compressor motor due to low voltage costs 10 fold what a protector costs. [2C]

12. silvermickey2002

Never thought of that??? Will look into a protector for the pup where it plugs into the power post.

By the way, the "Boss" (the DW) has approved the purchase of the A/C unit [A]

I believe I will be going with the Coleman Mach 8 13.5 BTU. I think I will also invest into Popup Gizmos!

13. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

It might not be that much more for the Heat pump version. I think the weight penalty is only 4-5 lbs.

14. turborich

turborich Active Member

If you're going to do a roof mount A/C then I would recommend the Coleman. You really only have two choices (Coleman or Dometic) Carrier shut down RV sales years ago although they were very good units. I've just experienced to many issues with the Dometic units while working at an RV parts house. Don't get me wrong, If your pup has a Dometic it's good to go. If stating from scratch I would lean towards the Coleman. [2C]

I myself don't like any of the roof mound units on a pop up! Just to big, bulky and extra weight on the roof unless you get a low profile which is a lot more money.

15. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

It is to bad that Cool Cat only sells the inside heat pumps to manufactures.

16. silvermickey2002

Well, we have decided on the Coleman Mach 8 13.5k BTU. The question I have is ducted vs non-ducted? Does it really matter or is that something for a TT?

17. propxprt

propxprt New Member

Non ducted is what you want. I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. Installing the ac was basically painless and worth every penny.

Ducted units are for campers that have duct work in them.

18. silvermickey2002

Great thanks!

Just sent a request to two RV dealers for a price quote for the unit and installation costs (Just curious)?

Has anyone purchased an A/C unit from PPLmotorhomes.com? Good or bad??

The unit I want is on sale for $799.99 and the ceiling assembley is also on sale for $54.99. Shipping is $120.00. So with tax it's $974.98. On sale till 2/28/14.

19. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I too am in the same boat. My 04 Fleetwood Redwood does not have AC nor is the opening cut for the vent. It does have the 4 dots in the celing, but nothing been cut. My DW just mentioned camping in Myrtle Beach. Well I can take the heat locally, but in Myrtle Beach in the summer... I need AC...

So I to will be on the lookout for a AC unit to mount to the roof of my pup. Thanks propxprt, as I now know I need a non ducted unit. And yes I will be installing the unit myself. I'm too cheap to pay someone.

20. silvermickey2002

I got a quote on the unit and installation and that was $1000-$1200. They did mention to me that They will also need an installation kit for the Fleetwood/Coleman pups, which they said they had in stock. Not sure what the installation kit consists of though.