Air Conditioner (Maybe adding one)

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by silvermickey2002, Jan 31, 2014.

What brand of A/C unit do you have?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2014.
  1. Coleman

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Dometic

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Penguin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Advent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The dealer just emailed me and said that the kit contains wiring as well as special aluminum channels that get pressed into the ceiling to support roof opening after you cut the hole, without these channels roof will crush and leak !

2. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Most dealers ordered popups with the AC install kit from the factory. Do you have to visible bars running across the inside of the roof? They are placed before and after the 4 dots.

3. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

To me that seems high... but I guess you can expect to pay 2X the cost of the unit.

4. silvermickey2002

I do have the A/C supports bars inside. There is no hole cut into the roof right now. Once they cut the hole in the roof for the A/C they will need to insert aluminum channels into the roof where they cut so the roof does not get crushed when the bolts are tightened down.

5. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

[RTM] If you are somewhat handy you can do the install yourself, it is not difficult and yoiu will save a BUNCH of money. I see AC units on Craigslist and some folks sell refurbed units for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of new. Then spend another $75 bucks on an install kit and take one afternoon of work and you are set for many summer camping trips. Just sayin. :)

6. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

It sounds like yours was ordered with the AC kit from the factory, so the channels should already be in the roof. The 20a outlet should all ready be wired with the correct breaker.

7. silvermickey2002

Yup breaker is there, but since there is no hole there already the channels are not there. They will need to be installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I have a question... I have a 04 Fleedwood Redwood H/W pup. My roof currently does not have an opening, so I will need to cut the 14x14 opening based on the 4 dots in the roof. My camper is in storage so I cannot verify, but I think when I cut the opening, I may have to cut into the center seam. Do I need to do anything special to accommodate the seam being under the AC? Again my camper is in storage (with 6 inches of snow on it) so I cannot verify if the "dots" are under the seam, or offset to the side. Yes the camper is AC ready, prewired outlet and roof braces.

Maybe I'm just "thinking" too much... its winter (still), it's snowing again... and I'm going crazy wanting to do something to the camper...

9. silvermickey2002

I know the 4 plastic buttons on the ceiling mark where to cut into the roof. They are not in line with the center seam. Not sure about your 2004 pup though. Maybe someone on here will chime in on that.

Also, I did speak with the dealer on the installation kit. If they cannot find an installation kit they will fabricate the aluminum channels to fit into the four sides of the hole they cut into the roof. These aluminum channels are needed to keep the roof from crushing when the bolts are tightened when installing the A/C unit.

10. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

silvermickey2002 are you going to have the dealer install the A/C?

11. silvermickey2002

Yes! I was going to do it myself, but the DW said have the dealer do it. Our schedule is so busy I agreed!

The problem is we will have a number of projects going on at our house I really won't have time to install it myself!

12. jwrober

jwrober Member

This has been a really great topic. I'm planning to do the same thing with my new lid project. My current lid was never rated/designed for an a/c. I don't think they even made them when my PUP was built. I was looking at a smaller 9.2k btu unit by coleman from pplmotorhomes.com. I can get the whole thing for less than $900 including a 5.6k btu heat strip for our "winter" [:D]. My big question is why do you think you need a 13.5k unit? How big is your PUP? Mine is 12' long and about 7' wide (give or take) in the main compartment with queen size beds on the fly outs. I live in South Texas and I can tell you I can make my PUP like Alaska in winter with 9.2k btus in the middle of summer (and we know how to do summer). The bigger units are for bigger rigs like full size travel trailers. You might want to look at a smaller unit and save some $$.

13. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I've got a 13.5k BTU unit on my 8' box pup, and I wouldn't go any smaller. We only have a handful of 100+ degree days every year, but we have VERY high humidity in the summer. Pups are not well sealed or insulated... And it takes quite a bit to keep them cool and dehumidified. There is a near constant trickle of water (not occasional drop) coming off the room when it is on.

14. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I've been doing quite a lot of research before I take the plunge and put one on my pup. I wouldn't go below 13,500 btu. My pup is a 14ft box. I'm thinking of going to a 15,000 btu. Also from what I've read,the heater option is nice but don't expect it to truly heat the camper. I'll skip that option and will use an electrical space heater, or will run the furnace.

To answer a question I asked earlier, I was concerned if I needed to do anything special if when I cut the 4 dots it goes through the center seam. From a few examples I found, the installation is the same, and I don't do anything different. I just mount the AC as if the seam was not there.

15. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

16. silvermickey2002

I also looked at the heat strips for the unit. Reading what others said it was not worth the money! We have a ceramic heater that does a good job at taking the chill out of there!

17. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

silvermickey2002 are you moving forward on your AC install... I keep researching and am getting closer....

18. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Since the pup is a NTU and we've only had one camp driveway in it.... I'm going to hold off on the AC for now... I want to see is if the AC will be needed (or maybe easier to convince the wife its needed) before I begin cutting a hole into the roof... I also would like to recalc / reseal the roof before making any mods to the roof. Currently there are no leaks, and I want to keep it that way... [:D] [PU]

19. silvermickey2002

Yes! Because of our schedule we decided to have the A/C installed by the dealership we purchased the pup from. They have ordered the A/C unit (Coleman Mach 8 13.5 BTU) and the needed A/C instal kit. The work is scheduled to do done on May 5th so we will be dropping it off on May 3rd. The DW and I can't wait to sleep in comfort!!!! [SNZ]

After we stayed in Ocean City, MD a few summers ago, we swore never to camp south of NJ during the summer again unless we had A/C!!!

20. silvermickey2002

Well, the dealer called yesterday evening and the A/C installation is complete. The DW and I are driving to South Jersey to pick it up. I will take pics and post them probably tomorrow evening.