Air conditioning condensation leaking into camper

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by scrooge, Jul 21, 2015.

1. scrooge

scrooge New Member

I ran my 2007 fleet wood Yuma AC for about 12 hours with no problem. However, all of a sudden water starts leaking out of the AC unit on to my dining table. What is causing this? This was my first time out with the camper.

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Condensation maybe? Pull the cover off and take a look.

3. scrooge

scrooge New Member

It is condensation, but why is it leaking through the inside AC unit?

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

I have same problem...looking for a solution too!

5. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

It was an overload protection feature that Fleetwood added to 2007 and newer pups. Once you see water on the dinette table it is time to turn off the A.C. to avoid possible electrical fire.

6. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Check to see if the drain is clogged...

7. scrooge

scrooge New Member

Where is the drain located?

8. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

I have the same issue. My rooftop unit is a Carrier unit.

I have found that it is very picky on being level. If the PUP isn't perfectly level, then when the A/C builds up condensation inside, it "splashes" into the vent and eventually runs over into the PUP. I can look up through the filters and see if the water is splashing. If I see it splashing/blowing around, I know the leak is coming and I better check level.

Hope this helps you.

9. CyVaquero

CyVaquero New Member

I had the same problem this past weekend on my inaugural run with our new to us Fleetwood E3. We were camping in 90+ degree weather with above 90% humidity and we started leaking as soon as the A/C started to cool. First searches on the problem gave me the condensation answer but after talking to another PUP owner in the campground who didn't have the problem I did a little more digging.

Check the long hex mounting bolts on the inside. You should be able to see them without removing the inside cover but you need to remove it to access them. They sandwich the roof unit to the inside mounting plate with the roof and seal in the middle. If they are loose (in my case two had worked themselves all the way out to the inside cover), you don't have a good seal and some/all the drain water on the roof is running back into A/C, tighten them up. This fixed my problem.

Last suggestion I have is check the seal itself and see if it is worn and needs replaced.

Also, you probably want your PUP to be just slightly off-level (toward a corner) so that the drainage will run off and not sit up there (the other PUP owner had pointed out that he thought I might be 'too' level).

Not an expert on this so I hope it helps.

10. scrooge

scrooge New Member

I pulled the AC cover and took a look at things. I did not see anything out of place. I guess it's time to take it to the dealer. I don't want to deal with another hot night.

11. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Did you take the cover off while it was running and leaking?

If its like mine, after it runs for a bit in hot humidity, I can see the water blowing around in the unit if it's not properly leveled.

[2C]

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like the gasket , remove the inside cover and look for the four bolts that hold the unit on the roof, see it they have loosened up, if so tighten them. Also look at the gasket while cover is off and see if it has a badly crimped down look, they have a problem of compressing and getting hard with old age. It is probably the bolts are loose, they have a habit of loosening up as the gasket compresses.

13. Lolo Tee

Lolo Tee New Member

F3F98629-F465-4D7B-8FB0-1BEBC3A4DB14.jpeg

This is my inaugural Pup Portal post, wanted to thank you all for all the tips, I fixed the A/C leak! Now I’m replacing two compartment doors, mounting my propane tank, and replacing all my bulbs w LEDs.. wahoooo!

14. CCundiff

CCundiff Member

+1 on the gasket. Had same issue. The bolts do come loose sometimes. Just don’t over tighten

Lolo Tee likes this.