Air conditioning

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Wilkywoods, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Wilkywoods

Wilkywoods Member

Could you please post photos of the innovative ways you've found to add air to your PUP that doesn't include cutting into it?? Thank you.

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Havent tried it with the pup yet, but we have a portable unit (the freestanding kind that vents out of a window with tubes) that I got for our garage. We are planning on taking it along on a couple of July tips next year.. I will just vent the hoses out one of the windows through the screen.

Wilkywoods likes this.
  3. Norseman79

Norseman79 New Member

20180630_104422.jpg 20180630_104422.jpg 20180630_170429.jpg

Attached Files:

4. tfischer

Since this thread got woken up, a couple posts ago and last year, I noted that I was goign to try a portable AC out. Just got back from a trip where we brought it along for the first time. It worked out pretty well, especially for our needs. The sun could definitely overwhelm it during the midday, but it definitely helped, and it kept up great in the evenings and overnights. Our unit claims it will vaporize condensate out the exhaust, but that didn't work out at all... would shut down after a few hours and need to be drained. Went to a local hardware store to pick up some drain tube and ran that outside and it worked great.

Our unit claims to be a 14k BTU. The biggest drawback is the large size, use of countertop space, and the fact that it has to go in the TV since you can't tip it over (at least without waiting hours to run it).

5. upstate family

upstate family Member

When we had a pup we tried the portable a/c. It was one that was suppose to evaporate. Well we took it too Florida and it was a disaster. Too humid so the a/c kept going to evaporate and never cooled. It was actually making it hotter because of it running to evaporate. We tried running a line so the water could drain... We had pugs on the tent ends, reflectix in the windows, and even put reflectix on the roof. It looked like a silver UFO by the time we were done. Nothing helped. After 3 days we realized we needed to go grey. My husband was there working hurricane Irma and if we didn't do something someone was going to end up dead. We bought our hybrid with an upgraded a/c. All that to say maybe one that doesn't evaporate may be better or go with a wall unit and make the modifications so it will work.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We have one of these JEEP BRAND 12x15 Tents that we sometimes take along with us on our off-road POPUP trips...

[​IMG]
    Google image

It was pretty easy to scoot up a 5K BTU Window Air Conditioner to the air vent on one end sitting on an ice chest and powered by the 2KW Generator. Worked like a champ... Used a tarp to seal it off...

Looked something like this...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Did the same thing at a Electric site at Virginia Beach and powered it up with an Extension cord plugged into a 20AMP Service pedestal...

Can't find my photo I took of it... But I think you can get an idea what we did...

Saw a guy at a campground using a POPUP and he had a 5K BTU window unit stuck out of the side of one tent bed end sitting on the tent bed floor. They was sleeping in the other tent bed end... Had it sealed off with a tarp. It was purring away hehe...

I guess there is always a way to do something hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

We have two portable units in our home...both of them have to be drained over time..i can image using one in PUP on those really hot days would require a lot of draining from the condensation...maybe they make some that don't require draining..i dont know...beingg the light weight that I am that just would not not work for me Best . Weight and size would be a problem ....lol we do have a could of small window units too, but at this point we are not willing to cut holes in the Pup for that...we are using the gizmos and reflectix in the Windows and a cooler/ac...NOT the mist kind... it does compliment the a/c about 4 to 5 hours of cool blowing around 50 degree air. after 4 hours there is some build up of condensation. We just drain the cooler and the tubbing...add more ice the next day and it last most of the hot portion of the day. That is the only solution we have found so far...untill something better comes along. Lol

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My portable has a hose that runs through the exhaust hose. The condensate goes out it in a form of a mist. The unit has an overflow catch pan uncase there is too much water for the hose. The unit shuts off if the pan is full. It has never filled up. At the end of a trip, I always drained the pan. It never had more than half a pint or so.

9. tfischer

My unit is *supposed* to go out the exhaust. I can only assume that the 70-90% humidity we've been seeing is too much for it. But a $4 length of tubing from Ace Hardware fixed the problem perfectly.