Air Mattress Under the Stock Mattress - Sleep Number Bed for a Pup

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by BikeNFish, Feb 18, 2020.

1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried to put an air mattress under the stock bunk end mattress? I did the obligatory Portal search, but couldn't find anything on the subject. I'm not talking about one of those over sized monstrosities that would make my nose touch the ceiling of the bunk end canvas, but rather something like a 6" deep mattress.

I have a Sleep Number bed at home that I have used for sixteen years and it worked great for my aging and aching back. I bought a new Sleep Number bed last month and noticed the new technology is quite simple - air mattresses under many inches of something similar to memory foam. So I was thinking that adding an air mattress under the stock mattress would work similar to this system.

In my research, I have found that many queen sized air mattresses would fit perfectly under the stock mattress (60" x 80") in my pup. Just place it under the stock mattress, pump it up for a Sleep Number in the pup, then deflate it when I need to lower the roof.

I have seen many a post here on the Portal on the alternatives to stock mattresses and I am not looking for advice on those. I'm looking for feedback on just this air mattress option. My pup does NOT have room to add any memory foam, the padded floor mats don't make that much difference for me and we use the heated mattresses so I don't want to replace them with something else.

My main concerns are durability and would the heated mattress doom the air mattress to a short life.

Please let me know if any of you have every tried the air mattress under the stock mattress option or give me your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

EmilyW likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would try it. Go cheap at first. In fact, i bought an air mattress for this exact same thing but never did it. ( its in the camper in a box). If you do it you might need a good way to inflate the mattress, the weight of the other one on top may be a pita. Get the battery power hand inflator. I never had a heated mattress but i dont think it will effect it.

BikeNFish likes this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

DW put our old plush camping Thermarests under our bed (bed is two layers of foam). Its nice, but not essential.

BikeNFish likes this.
  4. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I have a Queensized Aerobed (like the cadi of air beds circa 2002) if you'd want to try it out. I think matching bunk sized beds and stock sized air mattresses will be the challenge here...

BikeNFish likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If we had kept our last popup, our plan was to use our Thermarest mattress under the memory foam topper. Like an air mattress, the Thermarests can be adjusted by how much air is added, but they also have foam, so have more insulation - and provide cushioning if a leak develops.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I put three inch memory foam pad on top of my popup mattress and I have to depress it about one inch when I lower the roof for travel. My two ceiling lights make an indent as well haha...

On top of my two tent bed ends under the oem mattress I have those two foot square stick-on floor rugs (LOWES) cut to fit around everything across the whole bed floor area. These really do great sealing off any air coming through the floor area...

Works good for us...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

BikeNFish likes this.
  7. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We tried that...
    We used 2 twin air mattresses (the 5-6 inch ones you can get a Walmart) under the king bed in our pup. It was better than bottoming out on the stock mattress, but it wasn't great.

We, too, had sleep number beads from 1995-2009, and the air mattress under the stock mattress was not the same feel. I can't exactly say what was wrong — but it just felt unstable.

I say, give it a try — you might like it. And if you don't, you will only be out $20.

We ended up replacing the stock mattress with a new 5 inch memory foam mattress that we cut to fit. We love the new mattress.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    EmilyW, kcsa75 and BikeNFish like this.
  8. IndyRick

IndyRick Member

Sure 'nuf! I put a queen size ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed under both of our mattresses. It doesn't fully cover the king size, but it works well enough. I really like the fabric they're made from, and the side fill connection.
    718KR9S-nlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BikeNFish likes this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

One of the reasons for our popup purchase was to avoid air mattresses, that inevitably develop leaks

10. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We have used queen size air beds in our Pup since we purchased it in 2011. Thin blanket between the plywood and air bed and sleeping bags on top. OEM mattresses are in storage bags.

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hear ya. But as I accumulate years and the back gets worse, status quo isn't an option.

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com likes this.
  12. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

I have two of the ALPS air mattresses. They are made of TPU, not PVC or vinyl and they are tough and durable, but they wouldn't fit my pop-up (full sized). I had thought about using pool noodles strung together side by side to add some under-the-mattress cushioning, but have been waiting on for them to go on clearance at the end of season to try them out. The thought was that they could be removed and rolled up for transport.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  13. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

We did air mattresses in our first pup and popped both of them pretty quickly. The current Mesa has 5" foam mattresses. They are great, but they don't really fit. I"ve damaged the bed tracks and cranked on the whole body trying to clip the roof down with those 5" mattresses.

EmilyW likes this.
  14. IndyRick

IndyRick Member

Before I got my 2nd queen ALPS (for the king bed) I tried 2 vinyl twin air mattresses. Those developed holes quickly by the slides. Never got holes in the ALPS. Just to be safe, I fold a few inches in away from the slides on both sides before pushing the bed in. The combination of air & foam is not quite as comfortable as my waterbed, but you are supposed to rough it when you camp, right? :rolleyes:

15. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I have a queen sized air mattress we use on top of the mattress. Never though to put it underneath. If you try it post the results maybe I can convince DW to try 2 twins under so I can adjust mine harder then hers. I really hate how soft she makes it.

16. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the thermarest/self inflating style to make up some difference.