Alabama and alcohol at State Park Campgrounds

eporter81

May 20, 2011
I've been looking around online and all I find it Alabama Parks rules and reg. It says no alcohol on some beaches. Just wondering of anyone here has stayed in Alabama State parks and the rules. Thanks.

missnanc

Give me the fresh outdoors!
Oct 18, 2010
The parks we have been to state no alcohol. I guess that is a way of preventing fun from going bad. But never did see anyone go around and check cups, of course they would have found just Dr. Pepper in mine. [:D]

turtle

Feb 14, 2007
Same with Ohio. Even had a ranger come and talk with me. He had to know I had beer in my cup but did't say a word.

milogasser

May 17, 2010
[:O] I better read up on the rules. I visited with a Park Ranger in my campsite at Cheaha for about 20 minutes last summer. I not only was enjoying an adult beverage, I went and got a fresh one while we were talking. [RTM]

TomBigbeeMan

Hey ya'll, watch this!!!
Jun 4, 2011
Stay at Ala Parks all the time, no problem with the beer, just keep everything cool and not act stupid and your cool...Heck I work for the state and I know their broke and working shorthanded so they don't care as long as everyone is happy.

colorado_camper

Super Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
milogasser said:
[:O] I better read up on the rules. I visited with a Park Ranger in my campsite at Cheaha for about 20 minutes last summer. I not only was enjoying an adult beverage, I went and got a fresh one while we were talking. [RTM]

I think this answers the entire topic. Act like an adult and your adult beverage will be overlooked. Of course, that may be variable with the particular ranger.

sandyaker

Rock Hill, SC
May 19, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Just don't be stupid with it and you will probably be OK.
I have a friend that is the head ranger at a state park that we camp at all of the time. He once told me it's one of those rules that if you start acting a fool and causing trouble they can have you removed for the simple possession of alcohol and not have to prove you are intoxicated.
Scott

Travelhoveler

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2011
Remember the idea behind the law is not to prohibit you from drinking, but to give the rangers a legal basis to evict you if you are being an obnoxious drunk.

Be discrete and quiet and you should have no problem.

Incidentally, as a former park ranger, if you're drinking out of one of those plastic solo cups, you might as well be drinking Jack Daniel from a bottle in a paper bag. It's obvious what you're doing.

When we're in a park with an alcohol ban, we drink from our travel coffee cups, and set the coffee pot next to it. No one has a clue.

JeepKuntry

May 20, 2011
I know most of the campgrounds I've checked with prohibit alcohol. I hate to bring it knowing that I'm not supposed to have it but we enjoy drinking under a shade tree and just watching folks out enjoying the lake. Last year we went to a campground that allowed alcohol and we had no problems.

Aladin Sane

I'd rather be camping
Jul 3, 2008
Iowa
Travelhoveler said:
When we're in a park with an alcohol ban, we drink from our travel coffee cups, and set the coffee pot next to it. No one has a clue.

I'm guessing that the fact that your site is pitch dark helps conceal your skulldugery. Now your pevious posts make more sense to me. [:D]

Aladin Sane

I'd rather be camping
Jul 3, 2008
Iowa
As it does in my campsite as well. I was just joking with you about your lack of a campfire. Enjoy your clandestine cocktails my friend. [:D]

ridenred333

Apr 23, 2013
Travelhoveler said:
Remember the idea behind the law is not to prohibit you from drinking, but to give the rangers a legal basis to evict you if you are being an obnoxious drunk.

Except they can't evict you till your sober [LOL] because they would get a law suit if I were to drink and drive and do something to the pup [:D]

robertdonna

Jun 26, 2018
Childersburg, Al

Be discrete and quiet and you should have no problem.

Incidentally, as a former park ranger, if you're drinking out of one of those plastic solo cups, you might as well be drinking Jack Daniel from a bottle in a paper bag. It's obvious what you're doing.

They do now.....

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
In Fl. you are allowed to drink while in your site, the real reason ,as stated above it to try to keep everyone from making an a$$ out of themselves and disturbing the other campers. I have camped in Al and Ga. with no problems but I behave myself and do not go staggering around with a drink disturbing everyone around me. But also as stated, if you do cross the line then the park personnel can and will evict you, just they can do if your dog disturbs everyone in the area.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I would add that if you DO get called out on it, regardless of your behavior, be courteous and understanding with the ranger. Apologize and agree to the rules or leave.

Arguing with the ranger will get you nowhere.