Alaska Canoe and Campground, Sterling

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by generok, Jul 20, 2013.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Camped here July 19 and 20 during the Red Salmon dipnetting season. It was busy but a nice campground. Don't expect deluxe appointments, this is a place where people stay to fish and they come back with lots of fish, muddy and tired. The bathrooms are there with hot showers, but are kinda rough around the edges. Completely functional and utilitarian. The sites are semi wooded and better than the gravel parking lots around here. They have a nice fish cleaning station and on site professional vacuum packer. Bring bags. Folks running place are nice enough. They don't have online reservations but they will put you in the book if you call them. All in all, I'd stay here again.

2. generok

UPDATE 2014:

We stayed again about the same time in 2014, in the same site!

[​IMG]

Not much changed for 2014. The bathrooms are nice, but can get very crowded when it's time to get the kids ready for bed, and get them up in the morning. I think it would be nice to put a few porta potties down in the tent area to just take care of those needs without having to wait for showers for all the kiddos. But, it's not too bad.

[​IMG]

I like this place a lot, and we'll probably stay here for 2015 dipnetting since they have a fish processing station. Or, if we're really lazy, we'll just pay to have them processed next year. I got 100 lbs of Red Salmon this year, and I sure thought I could do it myself... ugh! What a messy chore.

3. generok

We stayed again for the 2015 dipnetting season and at least we bagged 33 red salmon this year! The CG is essentially unchanged, but we had a couple of issues that left a somewhat sour taste in our mouths, literally.

It seems the small place at the entrance was doing some work on their large LP tank. Well, something happened and it leaked for 30 hours and it STUNK! I wasn't worried about it igniting, but it really STUNK... I kept checking to see if I had a leak, but eventually tracked it down to that big tank. The guys were working on it, and eventually on Saturday night (we pulled in Friday at 11am) they got it under control (or the tank emptied).

Also, the showers/bathroom seemed to be really showing their age this year. The shower stalls always had an inch or two of water in them, and I know what that means when the toilet flushes. I did skip a shower the morning I got assigned into that bathroom. The others seemed to work. I hope they get the septic system fixed up this off season, or otherwise I see no reason to pay top dollar for a full-service CG and can't use the showers.

4. generok

Well, we went back for 2018, and the trip downhill had just kept going. We won't be going back to this place any longer. We called for reservations, they said they were busy and would call back... never did. We finally found them on Pitchup.com so we made a reservation there. We pulled in at 7:45 pm and the office was closed. No instructions on what site to use, no "after hours" instructions. Just by chance, I saw a site that looked a little bigger and they had a small "Camp Host" sign up. I knocked and they did help us get into our spot.

Spot was advertised as a 50' spot, but the only way we could get our 31' rig in there was to back it into the trees so our tongue wasn't in the road. We had to park the TV some distance away too. Many much longer spots were available both nights we stayed there.

The KICKER was the fish cleaning station I mentioned in my first review of this place. The fish cleaning station, which had always been free to use for guests, was now $10... per person... per day. There were no signs of this ANYWHERE, it was not in the campground rules, but the host came out as we were unpacking and said we both had to pay $10 to use the tables, even as registered guests of the CG. She said it was for all the water we would use. Ok, well, the empty site next to me had a spigot that ran all the time, no mater how much I tried to close it, and that seemed fine to them, but we were a little confused, and she was more than a little belligerent about it. We ended up just processing the fish in our rig, so ultimately, we used the same water anyway. We even checked the rules... no prohibition about processing fish in the sites. We were even good and disposed of all our fish waste materials off site, but we definitely had another bad taste in our mouth on this place.

So, I can no longer endorse this establishment. Something has changed since 2013, and it's not for the better.

BTW... I'd have no problem paying a fee to use the table IF it was posted and IF the fee for guests was less than the fee for complete strangers walking in off the street. But it wasn't, and it wasn't! In walking around, I just saw lots of signs of decay and neglect.

If you're self contained, it's a place to park, but why pay $35 a night... just go down the street to one of the 4-5 state recreation centers and park for $15 a night.

First really bad experience I have had at a CG, but there are plenty of options, and we spent some time looking at them for our next trip down there.