Alcohol enforcement in Maryland State Parks

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by critter, Sep 5, 2012.

1. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

OG, the most bizzare part of PA alcohol laws is that while PA makes you go to those state owned stores, it will also allow you to buy wine out of a vending machine. Yes there's a state person on the other side of the camera, but it's still a vending machine.

Amen, brother.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Washington used to have state-owned stores until about a year or so ago. We voted to get rid of that system and have a regular retail system like most other states. Part of the reasoning was that the state monopoly caused higher prices because of no competition. Prices were expected to fall and many people voted for the initiative for that reason. What happened instead is that prices shot up by a HUGE amount because of increased liquor taxes imposed by the state to recapture revenue they lost by giving up the liquor business.

Since legal marijuana was mentioned in an earlier post I'll forecast that it will be more expensive than current street prices, again, because of taxes. I suspect that a robust trade in "illegal" (i.e., non-tax-stamped) marijuana will continue for this reason after the tax-stamped stuff hits the retail shelves. I'll also forecast that the Native American tribes will get into this business as another revenue stream because they'll be able to sell it for less than non-tribe stores for the same reasons they can sell cigarettes for less.

3. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

Just looked it up. We are good to go here in Florida. Drink up! [LOL] [LOL]

4. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I'm kinda hoping the MA State Parks are lax on the no alcohol policy...

5. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

OMG!!! Something NYS hasn't gotten their fingers in to yet? I have got to call Andy.

6. darren.hiers

darren.hiers Tapatalk User

I had the same exact type of spot check happen to us while camping at Swallow Falls
    , but we also had a group of young college aged guys playing cards while drinking a few beers across from our site (they were not noisy at all except for few boisterous laughs). The DNR FINED THEM $125.00 each, there were approximately 10 guys between the two sites rented. I SAY REVENUE!!!

1988 Coleman Newport (RESTORED)
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 extended cab

7. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

I'll just say that I am in the alcohol business. The control states that have government ran ABC stores and such are undoubtedly generating a lot of revenue from fines. They will fine a supplier for having too much stock, not enough stock, how cases are arranged and all manner of other things because they can. They have the power and they make the rules.

Local governments have the same situation with parks and campgrounds. Writing citations is absolutely a revenue generator. It's the same as speeding tickets. Everyone speeds in some mannerat some point in their life. Try driving the speed limit on the interstate. You will get blown by by everyone. The police occasionally crack down after people get a sense that going 10 mph over is OK. Everyone knows this but it seems that we just kind of ignore the obvious facts.

With that said, I think that some camp sights have these rules for good reason. I've seen some pretty drunk and unruly campers and some people really have no business drinking. When it affects others that crosses the line. It's the same thing most of the time. The people that can and do act responsibly are restricted because others can't. I don't like it either but I don't think abolishing the no alcohol restrictions would solve anything. It would likely cause more issues.

8. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Fortunately, we have not been shaken down yet. My wife and I just camped in a MD state park (Tuckahoe), and brought beer and wine with us. I did put all of the beer in the camper fridge, and only food and milk was in the cooler outside. However, we didn't do a very good job of hiding what we were drinking. This park usually only has one ranger making the rounds, and he/she usually stays in the truck and just drives by and waves.

It's funny... my friends and I used to camp in this same park many years ago. We would sometimes bring a 5 gallon keg of home brew, along with a big tub of ice, a CO2 tank, etc. This would just be sitting on the ground at the end of the picnic table. The rangers never even mentioned it... and that's back when they would come around to each site to collect the $4 camping fee. Heck, I wash't even 21 at the time! We were not loud and never caused any problems.

I like my gin and tonics, too... and I have found a great way to pack my drinks and keep them on the DL -- I pre-mix gin and tonic into Mexican Sprite bottles and re-cap them with my bottle capper. Not only is it a convenient way to grab a drink out of the cooler or fridge, but nobody knows it isn't a Sprite! For those who might enjoy a bourbon and Coke or remand Coke, just get Coke bottles instead of Sprite.

I still haven't figured out a good way to hide a martini... the olives are a dead giveaway.

9. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I believe MD tweeked their policy recently. I have a spot this weekend at Cunningham Falls State park and below was stressed on the phone call to the park and thru the website.

ALCOHOL POLICY:

The consumption or possession of an open container of an alcoholic beverage will be prohibited in all state park areas with the exception of interior areas of full-service cabins and motorhomes.

Alcohol permits will only be issued through a reservation for a designated shelter, or other approved facility. A $35 fee will be charged for each alcohol permit and must be obtained 1-day out prior to arrival. Permit may be revoked for cause by Park Manager, their designee or a Natural Resources Police Officer.

Internet shelter reservations requiring an alcohol permit will need to contact the Call Center at 1-888-432-2267, Mon-Fri, 8 am - 8 pm to make your reservation.

For additional alcohol policy information, visit our web site at:
    http://dnr2.maryland.gov/Publiclands/Pages/alcoholfaq.aspx

10. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

I remember reading that very same statement on the web site the first time we camped at a MD state park back in 2010, so don't think they tweaked it....They will still tell you no alcohol when you check in and don't seem to mention the exceptions. The rangers do drive by frequently too.
    Have a great time at Cunningham, one of our favorites.

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

we do much like was suggested above in using one of those cooler covers on our beer. Usually have a couple of blue colored empty pepsi cans on the table...

Kind hard to tell what is in the koozie haha... Out of sight and out mind...

[​IMG]

Of course if you fall out of your camping chair when he walks up that might be a different story...

Have never done any camping in MD yet

Roy Ken

12. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

We are in the Sierras and Oh my gosh I would like some better rangers out here! For the past several years every time we've gone camping there has been a group of loud drunk people. Last year a group was drunk and in the middle of the night they ran through our campsite and tripped over a LARGE tent we had out there and almost fell on the people sleeping inside. This past Father's Day weekend a group of very young people began their evening about 10:30 their music was so loud the base shook the camper and we were more than half the campsite away. About 12:30 the ranger finally came out and they shut the music off but they continued partying, yelling then fighting each other. My kids were scared and my husband was going to go confront them but I talked him out of it as there were many more of them and they were already mad and drunk. They continued until the sun came up! Needless to say that morning there was a line in front of the ranger station to complain.

Since budget cuts 7 years ago they've only got enough funding to have one ranger that does an entire lake and river camping area.
    We are always trying to find a more family friendly site and a less party site. And recently I've noticed signs for family or quite campgrounds where they post no alcohol, I kind of like the idea, if you want to party go to the party side of the lake.

I don't care if people drink I care if they are completely selfish and have no self control.

My husband and I were talking about it during the Father's Day trip and he said it is just the way people are now, they have no manners, no control, and because they can't use and use the freedoms they have wisely, the authority figures will control those freedoms for them. It's sad really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I was staying at a MD state park and a ranger there saw some wine bottles in our (pantry). She told us to keep it out of sight and keep quiet. Those with red cups got bothered and when we wrapped the bottle in brown paper bag got bothered. Those people who concealed the wine in a coffee mug never got bothered. Now if we acted drunk we would have been thrown out. Sadly, it is those few people who over indulge that are really forcing the rangers to buckle down on the policy. Apparently my coworker and her "group" was probably the one to cause the extra villagance at Cunningham SP. Found out a couple months ago her group was kicked out. Some people just don't think about others.

14. dabsond

dabsond Member

Just spent 3 nights at Elk Neck State Park in Maryland. Only saw park rangers once in 3 days. Maryland uses "Camp Hosts" at the state campgrounds. If there are problems after hours you go to their site and they call the authorities type of deal. I don't think alcohol enforcement is one of their major tasks. I must say it does make for a more quiet and relaxing experience when people are not getting loud and obnoxious. Just keep it inside the camper. A glass of wine for the wife and a brandy and 7 a day for me helps us relax and enjoy the surroundings.

15. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Yes, this.

I think this applies to all sorts of rules that have to be implemented in order to cater to the lowest common denominator.

16. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

YES absolutely! It is what we are seeing all
    over society and it is sad! It seems to be a me me me selfie kinda mentality.
    Fact is if you can't control yourself someone will take control over you. [emoji20]

Getting a little off topic, sorry.

No one wants to have their coolers/campers searched feeling like your going through airport security to go camping in the woods and no one wants to deal with crazy people.

So what's the solution? Maybe it's just dealing with it as it happens? Make it clear when you check in, we don't care if you have a drink but If your acting like a fool you're immediately kicked out.

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If there is a rule about behavior that disturbs others what's the difference what caused it?

18. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

Yes you're right, but the thread was about alcohol restrictions.

19. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

My comment was about alcohol restrictions. It is assumed that alcohol consumption automatically causes this behavior. It probably does it a lot of cases I admit but don't punish those who don't act that way.

20. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

My family didn't camp... I started on my own when I was about 18. Around that time, I also started home-brewing. My friends and I would go camping with bottles or even a keg of home-brew. I can remember one time when I was about 19 that we were camping at Tuckahoe State Park in Maryland with a keg of beer at the end of the picnic table. This flowed up through a "jockey box", which is a cooler with a cool that the beer flows through. The cooler is packed with ice, so it comes out nice and cold. I can remember the ranger driving by, taking a long look at the setup... Laughed and shook his head and just drove on. We camped there all the time (for $4 a night) and never caused any problems. Never once did a ranger have to tell us to quiet down or stop doing something.

There's a nice little lake there, and when I asked a ranger if swimming was allowed, he said that it was not, because there were no lifeguards. He did mention that the water would be safe for swimming, though... And if we were to rent a canoe, paddle out to the middle and "fall out" that we would have to swim to save our lives... Wink wink.

We still camp there... But now with my wife and kids. We always take beer and/or other drinks with us. I usually take canned beer, because it fits in the pup's fridge better, and because a can coozie blocks the view of what we are obviously drinking. We have never been asked what we are drinking or had anything searched.