Alcohol in State Parks.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by kreich, Aug 11, 2011.

1. DelorFamily

DelorFamily Member

Same here for Indiana. Yes, it is in the rules that no alcohol is allowed, but the only time I have seen that enforced is if someone gets a bit too crazy. I have carried bottle of frosty beverages around and have never had a ranger say anything. Then again, I am not stumbling through other's campsites or peeing on all the trees either...

2. bobb050

bobb050 Member

According to the Rangers that I have spoken to at two different Texas State Parks (Somerville and Galveston) , you can drink in your camping spot but not while walking in public areas. That's why the signs read "Public Consumption of Alcohol Prohibited" or something like that. Just passing on what I was told....who knows?

3. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

I'll drink to that!

4. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

we mostly camp in IL, IN, MI, WI and i never paid attention to whether we can bring in alcohol or not. i guess b/c its not like we are having a wild party! we just like a few beers around the campfire, no harm done....so i guess i just ignore those rules if they exist where we go!

5. eporter81

eporter81 New Member

In NC me and the DH had a bottle of wine. I guess the rangers were walking around and we popped the cork. As we pored a glass the ranger walked up behind me and asked us to pour it our. We hadn't make any noise and just sitting by the camp fire. There wasn't anyone there. THey told us that they could arrest us, but for now they would just let us pour it out. I really liked that wine.

6. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Silver Strand state beach, and Doheny state beach are about the stingiest parks in this area ( So. Cal.), and even they say it's ok in your immediate campsite.

Greg

7. chopath

chopath New Member

We have only camped in Texas State Parks and usually have one or two after the kids are in the camper asleep. We just pour it in a cup and enjoy the stars!
    Never had a problem.

On a side note-
    I have seen coozies sold at Garner State Park store that have "Public Consumption Not Allowed" printed on them and they also sell shot glasses!

8. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

I know in PA as others have said it is not allowed. But as long as you are not loud obnoxious and disorderly.. I am not sure they really care.

I am looking in to taking a trip to Assateague Island in MD next year. I looked at both the State Park and the National Sea Shore. The SP said it is prohibited and the NSS it is allowed... (they are right next to each other) The reviews I have read on line is the SP rangers police the area pretty hard. Anyone have any experience with either?

9. mgeiger

mgeiger New Member

Yep. That's my experience in GA and SC.

While I can throw down with the best of them, I don't like getting to the point where I can't fully take in the camping experience, either while consuming, or being hung over the next day. Now, that wasn't always the case with me [;)]

10. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

This it what it says on the PA State Park rules and regs.:

Alcohol: Possessing, selling, or consuming alcoholic beverages is prohibited.

I would probably be willing to put my adult beverage in a travel mug, but my husband is all about rules. Plus he has to have a spotless record in order to maintain his clearances for his job. A couple of beers a bottle of wine, or coolers just aren't worth losing his job over...

11. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

Private campgrounds vs. state parks - that general no alchohol rule is why we prefer state parks. We're discreet, but we like that rangers will throw out the rowdies. Private campgrounds that we've stayed at encourage drinking and it makes for a sleepless night for the rest of us.

12. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

OK in Utah. Colorado only allows 3.2.

13. bodsworth

bodsworth Member

Wow, I would have packed up camp at that point and posted horrible reviews on every website that mentioned that park.

14. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

If you let us know what park that it is, DW and I will happily avoid it like the plague. I just reserved a week at a NC public CG, too. They won't know that we don't like the overzealous enforcement of their arbitrary rules unless we inform them the only way we can, with our camping dollars. I'm not suggesting a Boycott, but I would encourage all those of a similar mind to do the same - and let them know why you decided not to stay there when you cancel your reservations. I'm just saying....

Glad to know about PA state parks. We won't stay there (not that we would anyway, as it's just too far from home) because of this draconian rule. What's next a no kissing in public rule? I'll bet they ban drugs (Tylenols at my age), naked outdoor showering (you can't scrub your private bits if they are covered) and the ritual sacrifice of skewered tubes of intestine cased, blended animal flesh (hotdogs) around the campfire too! The prudes. [;)]

I'm sorry, but if I can't enjoy a cold beer with my BBQ on a warm evening in the middle of the woods, what's the point of camping? This is the proverbial "deal breaker" for us. [V]

Chip

15. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

In GA state parks, alcohol is not permitted UNLESS you are a registered guest at the CG and in the CG area. Can't take it to any of the other areas of the park.

16. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

North Carolina State Parks (at least the ones I've been to) clearly post their no alchohol policy at the entrance to the park, on the printed materials and on the rear-view mirror hanger they give you when you check in. It is clearly stated on the reservation website and you are verbally told this when reserving by phone. It is a ranger's job to enforce rules; he/she could have written a ticket, but chose a lesser "punishment".

Best to do the opening and pouring of drinks inside the camper or tent and drink out of a closed coffee-type mug.

Pam

17. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

That is seems like a good compromise everyone could live with - except the riff-raff of course. ;)

Threebeachboys, If they give you that much notice of their policies, then that's a completely different situation. Upon making reservations, I would have simply thanked the person taking the reservation for the notice and kindly informed them that I changed my mind because of their strict no-alcohol rule and would not be staying there, but would be camping elsewhere instead. I might even ask them for a recommendation of a more tollerant campground in the area - just to drive my point home. If more people cancel than don't, they might eventually change their policy. If not it will be their loss as there are plenty of other places to camp in freedom.

Chip

18. electronflux

electronflux Member

Agreed.

I'm not being loud, obnoxious or rude, so leave me alone and go talk to the owner of the dog that's been barking for the last hour, or the guys that have the music so loud you can hear it on the other side of the lake.

seriously though, when the ranger/sheriff walks or drives past the site and I give him the bev in hand salute and I get "the wave"
    I go camping to relax, burn some wood, drown some worms and drink some beer. There is the occasional geocache/picture taking hike and that's about it.

The authorities at MT CGs are pretty easy going as long as you keep the noise down.

19. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg "Failure is not an option"

We specifically choose state parks as much as possible because of the no alcohol policy. It is prohibited in SC state parks and I sincerely hope it never changes. We do not drink, but have no problems with those who drink responsibly. I like the policy because it allows the rangers to boot out those who over indulge. I'm sure all of those little red cups don't contain soft drinks and I'm pretty sure the rangers know it too.

20. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

It's banned in Maryland State Parks unless you are in a motorhome. Why is it okay in a motorized vehicle and not in a detached trailer? Because the motorhome can be considered a primary residence. Um, okay. Be responsible, keep it out of sight and the [{:)] typically will not bother you...usually.