Aliner AC Advice

Arkman

Jul 25, 2022
Hopefully you guys can help me make a decision! I’m in the market to but an Aliner Classic. The dealer has two idetical trailers, the only difference is the AC/heat pump unit. One has the Cool Cat 10,500 btu and the other has the Command unit at 9,000 btu. So my obvious question is…. Which one should I get? I live in Tennessee where the summers are hot So if one has even the slightest edge over the other, I think I‘d choose that one! Help me out 😂

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Look at how they're ducted. I have the Command in an Expedition --- two long uninsulated ducts under a bed. Not the most effective. The unit has 3 outlets though and there was much condensation. Dealer/manufacturer remedy was to plug one outlet. I enclosed the whole area with an insulated barrier and also wrapped insulation around the ducts. It helped.
Pick the one that looks to be ducted shortest/straightest.

The major hurdle that Aliners have is that they're not well insulated. If you're in the shade both brands will cool off your trailer. If you're in the sun, make shade. I also use reflectix over any window facing sun.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
Aliner Classic. only difference is the AC/heat pump unit. Cool Cat 10,500 btu Command unit 9,000 b

There is a Cool Cat buried in mine. 10500 BTU sounds about right. The Command showed up about the time of the Covid shortages. I dont have a problem with my Cool Cat. If the one you are looking at has a Cool Cat is it a mattress layout? How old is the Classic?

I tore the vents etc out and rebuilt everything. Much better.

If you camp in the deep South in the summer its going to be hot in the sun. Plan accordingly. I have certain Campgrounds I avoid in the summer.

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
I can tell you that the command is not sufficient to cool my 2022 classic in direct sunlight at temps above 82 degrees. I have no experience with the cool cat. I can tell you that a standard portable 5000btu air unit WILL cool my aliner at high temps, even in direct sunlight. But it's annoying, and takes up space.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
I just remembered a time where we camped in full summer sun. No problems. It kept up. The Cool Cat has a unique design. The is a catch pan under it and the condensate drips out the wall opening. The first time you see it you going to think there is a leak/ flood in the Aliner.

Arkman

Jul 25, 2022
Thanks for all the information guys! They are both 2022 Classics. I'm leaning towards the Cool Cat. I've had really good luck with Dometic products. That being said, I'll be running into the same problems as most of you. I plan on leaving the bed down full time, so the ol' cold air on the floor dilemma will apply.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Stay out of the sun and insulate your ducting.
Before I insulated mine they'd condensate like crazy and make puddles under the bed. Big puddles. It's humid in the south...

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
insulate your ducting. Before I insulated mine they'd condensate
My ducting is dryer hose. Paper thin. How does your Command drain condensate and could there be a drainage problem? Wonder if the other Command owners have a problem? The Cool cat doesnt have a problem.
If I remember the ducting comes out of the upper left side of the unit.

The Dr. wont let me raise the roof to take a look.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
My ducting is dryer hose. Paper thin. How does your Command drain condensate and could there be a drainage problem? Wonder if the other Command owners have a problem? The Cool cat doesnt have a problem.
If I remember the ducting comes out of the upper left side of the unit.

The Dr. wont let me raise the roof to take a look.
The water was definitely condensation forming on the ducts.
It's floor mounted, pointing down, and has two drains underneath ---- they work fine.
The original layout has the entire cavity under the bed open, like a new home before the drywall goes up. And there's a hatch to the storage cubby. So it was just all open to outside air. I walled off the storage cubby and put solid foam insulation between the studs. So now the Command recirculates just interior air; once it's dehumidified that way there's no more condensation on the ducting.

Arkman

Jul 25, 2022
I bought my Aliner this weekend. By the time I arrived home only one side of the cool cat interior vent was working. Upon further inspection I realized that the dryer hose that they used had fallen off because of a hastily done zip tie installation. I immediately went to Home Depot and bought the appropriate AC ductwork along with insulation wrap and got it rocking! I”ll “test on it“ in hot weather (90 plus) and report back…

Attachments

• A6377BF5-8E41-4402-9E31-7F7D2C6F6AE0.jpeg
    A6377BF5-8E41-4402-9E31-7F7D2C6F6AE0.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 5

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
The water was definitely condensation forming on the ducts.
It's floor mounted, pointing down, and has two drains underneath ---- they work fine.
The original layout has the entire cavity under the bed open, like a new home before the drywall goes up. And there's a hatch to the storage cubby. So it was just all open to outside air. I walled off the storage cubby and put solid foam insulation between the studs. So now the Command recirculates just interior air; once it's dehumidified that way there's no more condensation on the ducting.
I followed Hilldweller's method described here when I got mine about 14 months ago and saw a large improvement in performance. I camped in high 80s last September and had the interior in the low 70s. I wouldn't camp in TX in July/ August though. We've been over 100 for most of the past two months, with overnight lows in the 80s.