Aliner battery charging

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by cambo, Jul 7, 2019.

1. cambo

cambo Member

Hi, When I plug my 2012 Aliner Classic into an outlet on my house (using a plug adapter), is the Aliner’s 12v battery being charged simultaneously?

Thanks!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

It should be. All of the newer convertors have built in chargers.
    Just to add ...... Does your battery act completely dead? If so check the battery protection fuse in the convertor fuse area. A blown fuse (usually caused by installing the battery cables to the wrong terminals) will disconnect the battery and it will not charge.

3. cambo

cambo Member

Thanks. I can confirm that the battery is working, but I just wanted to make sure it also charges when plugged into the house

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Great .....

A cheap voltmeter should be added to your tool box.

5. cambo

cambo Member

Thanks. I did put a multimeter on the battery. It says almost 12v, I just can’t tell if it’s charging.

Should I just check again in a few hours, to see if the house outlet is in fact charging it?

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

if you open up one battery connection, and switch your meter to its 10A range, you can measure the charging current (you may have to put one probe in a different meter socket for the 10A range).

Also, look for voltage to rise to at least 13.xxx DURING CHARGING if a good battery is being fully charged.

and download your converter manual onto yourTablet or laptop to read.

7. cambo

cambo Member

Thank you. How many hours do you think it takes a half charged battery to reach 13.xx volts while the camper is plugged into the house outlet?

Thanks so much

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I do this all the time with my setup. Using the VOLTMETER across the battery terminals will read 12.4-6VDC when not hooked up to shore power...

When hooked up to shore power this reading should jump up to 13.6VDC or what mode your smart mode charger is in when connected. If I don't see this increase this tell me I am NOT being charged.

In my setup the CONVERTER and the BATTERY connect to the same point on the 12VDC Distribution panel... This allows the battery to operate all of the 12VDC items when not on shore power. When on shore power the CONVERTER will also provide 12VDC to the 12VDC items as well as being a charge mode for the battery... Guess all of this makes sense hehe...

You can see all of this in this typical 30A Power Distribution Diagram...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

This all varies depending on what options you have with your particular POPUP trailer... The main point here is the whole thing runs from the 120VAC and 12VDC Power Distribution Panels in the middle of the diagram...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  9. cambo

cambo Member

Thanks! Good info.

One thing I did try quickly was to disconnect the battery and took a reading of the battery wires (from the camper) which said 12v. Maybe that means it is charging when connected?

10. cambo

cambo Member

Quick update on this... I left the camper plugged into the house outlet for about 10 hours, and the 12v battery is still dead. How long should charging take?

Thanks!

Rik Peery likes this.
  11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Crazy question, but is the battery good?

12. cambo

cambo Member

Should be good. It’s only a year old

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like your're getting any charge current to the battery at all. You should check your fuses. There should be one in the fuse panel in the converter marked something like "reverse polarity protection." It's the highest amperage fuse in the panel, mine is 30 amps.

There is an inline fuse or circuit breaker near the positive pole of the battery, it will be the same amperage as the reverse polarity fuse in the converter. While you're at it, make sure that the wire with the fuse is connected to the battery pole marke with a +.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

you should have measured 13+ volts. If your converter is only outputting 12v something is amiss.
    Find a portable battery charger (10 amps or greater) and hook it up to your battery to get the battery charged ASAP.

leave the battery disconnected from the camper as the CO and propane detector will drain it while idle.

15. cambo

cambo Member

Thanks everyone for the help. I found out some new info. There was a broken fuse directly above the 30 amp reverse polarity fuse. Once I put a new 15 amp fuse in, the camper powered right up using the battery that I wrongly assumed was dead.

I was also able to recreate a situation where the 15 amp fuse blew again. When the 12v battery was connected AND I hooked up the 120V AC, the fuse blew. I found that the only way the fuse would not blow is if I disconnect the 12V battery first before I plugged in the 120V AC. Any ideas?

In the meantime, thinking the battery was dead, I bought a charger (3 Amp) from auto zone. So at least I can charge that way until I figure things out.

Thanks again for everyones help, I really appreciate it.

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

If you have a WFCO 8725 I believe you need a 30A battery fuse.

17. cambo

cambo Member

I have a WFCO 8735/8740.

I have all 15 amp fuses except for a 40 amp one at the bottom.

The 15 amp fuse directly above the 40 amp fuse is the one that was blowing.

18. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

19. cambo

cambo Member

Thanks. On page 4, I have the configuration on the right side (8735/8740).

20. cambo

cambo Member

My main question now is if I have the correct fuses especially for F6 (pictured below). Currently I have a 15 amp fuse on F1–6, and a 30 amp fuse on the Reverse Polarity.

Here's the two problems I'm still having:

1. When camper is plugged into 120v AC, the 12V battery does not charge (only getting 12V from the converter box to the battery, I understand that I should be getting 13+v).
    2. When the 12v battery is connected AND I hooked up the 120V AC, the 15 amp fuse on F6 blows. I found that the only way the fuse would not blow is if I disconnect the 12V battery first before I plugged in the 120V AC.

Thanks so much! My first Family camping trip is this weekend, so I want to make sure everything goes smoothly!

fuses.png