Aliner battery charging

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by cambo, Jul 7, 2019.

1. rabird

rabird Howdy!

First the red wire/battery fuse should be 30A. Fix that. Make sure the battery is connected correctly, generally the white wire is the negative, the wire with a fuse/breaker is the +.

Second, disconnect the battery and measure the voltage from the converter near the battery. Then measure the battery itself to make sure your meter is working then remeasure the converter leads.

12v is not enough and indicates an issue, you can measure the WFCO's output at the back of the WFCO itself (disconnect the red wire on the back of the WFCO, this is the 12v+ in/out from/to the battery, there will be a white 12v- wire there also).

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

This is because the converter senses a severely depleted battery and is trying to send more than 15 amps to charge it.

As Rabird said, put a 30 amp fuse in slot number six. If you haven't already, read the charging description on page 7 of the manual. Note that the chart indicates that it can take up to 48 hours to achieve a full charge. Depending on how long your battery has been discharged it may or may not be recoverable.

Plug the pup into shore power and allow it to charge for at least 30 minutes and then, with your multimeter set to the 20 Volt DC range, test across the battery post. You should see over 13 volts, hopefully over 13.6.

Charge the battery until the voltage drops back to 13.2. Unplug the the trailer and disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Let it sit 4 to 6 hours and test across the battery posts again. If the battery tests less than 12.8 volts you probably want to consider a new battery.

3. cambo

cambo Member

Thank you. This is very helpful. When I get home today, hopefully I can try putting in a 30 amp fuse.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Another thing, check the water level in the battery, if the plates are exposed to air add just enough distilled water to each cell to cover the top of the plates. Best to wait until the battery is charged to fully fill the cells.

5. cambo

cambo Member

Thanks everyone for the help! I replaced the F6 fuse with a 30amp and now everything is working great. I’m getting 13.6v from the converter to the battery.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I’ll pass on the kindness

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. VermontMommy

VermontMommy New Member

I feel really silly saying this, but I didn't know the Aliner had a battery!