Aliner battery kill switch

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by mchalk, May 8, 2018.

1. mchalk

mchalk New Member

Hello! We just purchased a 2018 Aliner Expedition and have already had our first outing and loving it. My issue is trying to locate the battery kill switch for this unit. It wasn’t a problem while camping because we were hooked to shore power. But while unhooked, we didn’t have power at all. Battery is new and checked out good. All breakers are on. I’ve been told there should be a battery cut off switch but haven’t been able to locate it. Anyone have an idea where it is located on this unit?
    Thanks!
    mchalk
    2018 Aliner Expedition

2. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

MChalk, I don't recall Aliners coming from the Columbia Northwest factory with a kill switch. Check the following:

Battery connections- the white wires go to the negative terminal; fused wire goes to the positive.

Fuses- start at the positive battery connection and work your way through the converter/power center checking all the DC fuses.

Call the Columbia Northwest and ask for help.

Enjoy your new camper!

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Definately check the fuse at the battery and the fuse in the converter for the battery. I'll bet one of them is bad or missing.

Does Aliner use WFCO converters/power centers?

4. TNW

TNW Member

I have been all through my Aliner electrical system, there is no kill switch on the system, at least in my 2014 unit. I wish it did have one and I may install one. My system slowly discharges when all is shut off, even the CO and gas detector installed in the unit. I agree with sleach, check those breakers/fuses and you'll probably find an open circuit.

5. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

IMG_1007.JPG No factory shutoff on Aliners. We installed this. It is a Blue Sea marine switch. Got it from eBay. Abt $27.

WildmanWells and Lloyd B like this.
  6. TNW

TNW Member

Pointy Camper, did you connect this switch to the positive or negative circuit?

7. McCampers

McCampers Member

We have a 2016 Aliner Scout. Ours did not come with a kill switch. We do boon dock camp some with ours so I needed a battery disconnect so I could run the camper off an inverter at the battery without the on board charger using power to charge the battery. My camper has a 30 amp set up so I installed a simple 30 amp rocker switch in the side of the battery box. When off the battery does not connect to the converter. I can connect an inverter to the battery and plug the trailer in to the inverter. Then all the 120 and 12 volt outlets and appliances work (within the Wattage rating to the inverter I use). This has actually worked very well for us. The inverter it self does draw extra current to operate but we recharge the battery once a day with the tow vehicle and jumper cables when on extended trips. When at a site with electric we turn the switch to on and all works as it is supposed to. I placed the kill switch on the fused line from the battery and is much simpler to flip the switch then pulling the fuse. You must be sure the switch is on when towing. This allows for the battery to take a minor charge on the road and allows the emergency break away switch to work.

8. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

Hi Mchalk - I am a 2017 Aliner Explorer. I also had a similar problem when disconnecting from shore power, my primary 20 amp fuse to the positive wire on the battery would blow. Open your battery up, find the positive post and follow the wire(s) back, you may find an in-line automotive fuse in a yellow plastic holder. Pry the cap off, pull the fuse and check to see if it's blown. A multimeter is handy for this. I still haven't figure why this blows but I have a bunch of spare fuses.

9. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Positive.
    It is so handy between trips to shut off the power draining detectors.

10. TNW

TNW Member

I have 2- 12 volt AGM batteries hooked up in parallel in my Aliner, and I find that with nothing turned on, camper not plugged in, and the solar panel not in use the solar controller tells me that the batteries percent of charge reduces quickly. Overnight the batteries will go from 100% down to around 60%, however the voltage is still up in the 13+ range. I'm not sure what is going on, is the converter drawing down the batteries that fast? These are newer batteries and hold charge when disconnected from the system. Also I installed an on-off switch on the gas detector to limit drain from that.
    Only remedy I see is to install a kill switch, I'd rather not have to do that but don't see any other practical way to deal with it.
    Do any others experience this drain on their batteries?

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We have a 2018 Aliner Scout - also that has no kill switch. Closest thing to that is pulling the 20 amp battery fuse each time. The fuse is installed, hanging outside the battery box, in-line with cheap no-strip automotive connectors. If you are up north or close to a coast, the salt will eat up the connections. I've tried to seal our connectors with Silicone and so far they still work. If your fuse connections are corroded, it may cause the issue you have.

12. WrkrBee

I believe your batteries are wired in parallel or you have 24v on your camper. The Aliner owner's manual, or the wad of individual manuals, does not do a good job at providing detailed information for maintenance or troubleshooting issues. Our 2018 Scout battery will drain some, also. I've never measured the drop. The Scout has the AC, converter, and the refrigerator that is cut off. With today's systems, most will have some parasitic electrical draw even when "off".

13. WrkrBee

When disconnecting, or connecting, from shore power, do you cut the breaker off before using the plug? The breaker disconnects power faster and probably has an arc suppressor. If arcing is occurring in the plug, the voltage drops which increases the current. P = I x V. Excess current is not good for anything on the camper, which blows fuses.

14. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

Thank you - I have not been doing it that way. Feeling chagrined since that is obviously the correct way. The collective wisdom on this forum is vastly under appreciated.

WildmanWells and Txbum like this.
  15. TNW

TNW Member

Yes, sorry for the error, they are indeed wired in parallel. I changed the post to reflect that.

16. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

I also removed the fuse when i don't want to overcharge the battery too. My concern is that what if I loose the fuse?
    My friend gave me this gold-plated in-line connector that he use for RC airplane couple years ago. I will solder it to the black wire some day. Connectors.jpg

17. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Where is the breaker mentioned located?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  18. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I love using the high current BLUE SEA Rotary Switches for switching the battery circuits. These switches are fully sealed against the enviroment and use the make before break technology while being switched...

This action reduces the possibility of any internal arcing to the switch contacts and of course being sealed from the enviroment has no effect from corroded contacts surfaces...

You can use these switches in the POSITIVE or NEGATIVE wiring and get the same circuit disconnecting results...

I use this type of BLUE SEA Four position Switch (OFF-POSITION 1-BOTH POSITIONS-POSITION 2 then back to ALL OFF again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google images

The other big thing for me is that I can use 5/16 - inch RING TERMINALS for all of my DC cable connections...

I hav ebeen using this BLUE SEA Switch since 2008 for my multiple 12V Battery connections. This is one of my connection plans for complete control of my multiple battery switch operations for using four 12VDC Batteries in parallel...

[​IMG]
    Roy's drawing

With the Blue Sea switch positions I can select any Battery to use, any combination of batteries, or none at all... I like to have one battery bank selected to run with my PD9260C Trailer converter/charger and the other two batteries running something else not connected with my trailer operations like maybe supporting my Ham Radio operations. This is also helpfull have a second Battery Charger going charging two of the batteries external while still running the Popup 12VDC Distribution off of the batteries in the second battery bank.

It is all click click with no removing of DC CABLES working with the four 12V connected batteries.

Works great with my style of OFF-GRID operations...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

You can see my three Blue Sea 9001E Rotary switches across the frame behind the batteries here. I originally started out with four 12VDC Batteries across my trailer tongue but I lost one right away in 2009 for using my originally supplied single mode 13.6VDC Battery charger and it boiled out the battery fluids before I caught on what was happening. With my setup I just switched out the bad battery and kept on going... My new battery bank setup will look like this drawing using two parallel groups of two 6V GC2 batteries in series... Work in progress as we speak...

I purchased four each DURACELL SLIGC110 6V GC2 215AH batteries from Battery Plus for my new upgraded battery bank verses the Trojan T-105 ...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's drawing

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

WildmanWells and Rik Peery like this.
  19. KCandLP

KCandLP New Member

Hi WrkrBee - we’re a new owner of a used 2016 Aliner Classic. Getting ready for our first weekend of camping and I noticed that I’m getting blown fuses at the battery too (so thanks for your explaination). I have the trailer in my garage and I have the power connected through a wall outlet (figuring that would keep the battery charged, etc.). I don’t know if the fuse is blowing when I plug in or when I disconnect the power from the outlet. I’ve had another trailer in the past and it didn’t have the battery fused so I never had this issue (or never suffered the blown fuse). I could throw the breaker to the outlet when I’m connecting or disconnecting (or remove the fuse). Any suggestions/comments on keeping power to the trailer with the battery connected while it’s in my garage (seems the Aliner documentation says the charger is smart enough to revert to a trickle charge). Thanks.

20. WrkrBee

What is the voltage at the garage receptacle when you plug in? If it is in a daisy chained receptacle circuit, and other stuff is running on it, the voltage could be low when the camper is added. Our Aliner is parked in the field. I pull it to the house the day before a trip, plug it in, check it out, and charge the battery. Being stored in a garage, I see no need to keep it plugged it all the time. Pull the battery fuse to prevent parasitic drain and charge it the day before camping.