Aliner battery kill switch

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by mchalk, May 8, 2018.

1. KCandLP

KCandLP New Member

Thanks - I’ll do as you suggest. I know the advice on the battery is to trickle charge it when the camper is put up for the winter. We will use our camper a few times during the “winter” months as we’re in NC and we will head south for a few nice weekends. Do you leave the battery disconnected for longer periods of time or do you charge it if it’s going to be out of service for a few months?

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We try to camp every month or two, so the battery stays connected all the time. We have no detectors, fridge is cut off, AC only powers up when plugged in, so no parasitic drains. Well, there is a battery state indicator under the battery cover which has almost no usage.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  3. JJLEBOATBABE

JJLEBOATBABE Member

Which breaker should I have turned off before plugging in or unplugging to power? I have never done this either. I am a newbie camper.

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

It is advised to turn off the power source that you are connecting with. Typically referred to as the "shore power". At a campground most often there is a breaker on the pedestal at the receptacle.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Aliners lack a pproper main Ac,DC power panel like u find on a boat - really annoying to me. On a boat one has totalcontrol.

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Like most, if not all, camping trailers, the Aliner's power center is the converter/charger. This is where the DC fuse box is, the AC breakers, etc. Is this where you want the battery shutoff to be? I have never seen a camper like that. The battery shutoff is located outside someplace where it is easily accessible without having to enter the camper. In a popup/aliner, this is preferable to being inside so you do not have to setup to disconnect the battery.

Most camping trailers have the battery shutoff close to the battery. The converter is usually inside someplace low, and the gauges, switches and outlets are usually in convenient places. The things you need during setup are usually right near the door (slide & awning controls, etc.) The tank gauges are usually at eye level in the main living space, solar controllers are often someplace else inside, higher up. The grey/black tank controls outside, etc.

Some campers have panels with many things in one spot, but that is often not the case. I've never had a cabin cruiser, but all my boats (24' or less) have been similar to the campers. Battery shutoff by battery, most controls at console, fuse panel a little out of the way, switches convenient to whatever it is their switching.

I'm curious to know what you'd like to see done differently.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Well, what I have done is land all field (branch) circuit wiring on a 12 position Blueseas panel and not use the fuseblock in my new PD4135 converter. Much easier to see what I have and better segregation of loads. And I used the self-indicating fuses (when blown). Also makes it easier to take the converter out of the picture if it has issues because the Blueseas panel is wired to the battery “in front” of the converter. PV system lands separately on the large battery posts. Photo is in-progress. AC wiring is not in place. And the formerly-fixed shore power cord is going to have an external plug - like on a boat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019