Aliner cabin removed from the chassis?

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Has anyone unscrewed the cabin box from the chassis framing and lifted the cabin (floor and all) entirely off the chassis?

(nothing wrong with the floor, ?I am looking at some chassis work)

TimAZ

Oct 16, 2021
Aliner has a production video which shows a crew gluing and screwing the cabin box to the frame. There are only a few mechanical fasteners holding the box in place (my trailer has four), but plenty of glue. The difficult part of removing the box is separating the glue lines that hold the floor in place on the frame beams. No matter what method is used, it will damage the floor.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Aliner has a production video which shows a crew gluing and screwing the cabin box to the frame. There are only a few mechanical fasteners holding the box in place (my trailer has four), but plenty of glue. The difficult part of removing the box is separating the glue lines that hold the floor in place on the frame beams. No matter what method is used, it will damage the floor.
Oh, you mean all these glue lines :-(

Attachments

• adhesive between box and  chassis.JPG
    adhesive between box and chassis.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 22

TimAZ

Oct 16, 2021
My Hilti vibro hammer and spade bit will handle the glue lines :)
Dynamite is a quicker option. 😉

If I ever had to do this, a sawzall with a long wrecking blade would be my first choice. It would skip above the frame and chew into the softer glue lines. I’m sure there would be several places where it would be impossible to maneuver the saw, but that’s typical of these projects.

Then, after it’s torn loose, comes the real fun. Figuring a way to support and move the box without distorting and destroying it further.

Senor Mule

Aug 16, 2022
I just removed all the floor and replaced it with 3/4" plywood last night.
I still haven't centered it or screwed it in place.
Watch the bottom of the corners were the aluminum trim is, these bend very easily and you can break the chintzy plastic cover bottoms.
I also added 6" galvanized flashing between the floor and the original flashing (going to use a million #8 1/2" titanium screws to secure it.

As for the glue and removal - I used a heat gun and putty knife first, but switched to a dewalt (or any brand for that matter) osillating saw with some "putty knives" for it from Harbor frieght. The package comes with a wood saw, rigid and flexible putty knife.
It took under 10 minutes to remove what took hours before and didn't nick or damage the metal.