Aliner Expedition Antifiction Help Needed

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Econ, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Active Member

I think I have almost broken the code on the anti fiction tape problem. The problem is the previous owner was not the best repairman in the world. There are remnants of glue in places that make me wonder. I have a new strip of factory anti fiction tape plus industrial Velcro.

It would be nice for someone to describe in detail two different areas or take a photo of them:

1) On the rear roof panel at the forward most (the top) section of the side extrusion. The outside of it. Whats there? Could there have been an antifriction plate? I am interested in the last 6 to 8" of the outside of the extrusion.

2) on the forward roof panel there is the side extrusion. I am interested in the last foot of the INSIDE of the extrusion. The factory anti friction tape runs along the bottom edge of the forward extrusion for about 5'. It is 1" wide. Is there any other plates of anti friction material above the above mentioned strip?
    It would seem this is an area that would need weatherstripping.

Thanks for the help.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

just add tape wherever you see signs of rubbing on YOUR camper. The roofs are likely not aligned the same in all models or builds of the same model , for example, my two roof halves are not exactly parallel with the walls or with each other when closed or erected.

3. Econ

Econ Active Member

Called Mama Aliner. The anti friction tape is called glide tape. The weatherstripping goes half way up the front roof panel then the glide tape goes from there to the end of the front roof panel. There are no other plates, tapes or weatherstripping. The misc adhesive patches that were found I speculate were the previous owners attempts to repair. When I got it there was no glide tape and there were some beauty blemishes.

The glide tape is about 1/16" thick by 1" wide. It has that off white look like nylon. The tape had been ordered several months ago but never got around to it.

The pre installation clean up was simple after I broke the code. I had Goo Be Gone and an auto mechanics hand cleaner called Goop. The secret is to have 2 or 3 projects going at once. Apply the cleaner to the adhesive then go work on something else for 10 minutes. Then rub on the adhesive for a minute and repeat process 5 or 6 times. That got me down to an extremely thin piece of plastic with a ragged edge that was glued to the extrusion. Took a razor blade to remove the plastic then repeated the apply cleaner and let it soak procedure. After I thought all adhesive was removed it was getting dark so I waited to the next morning. Wiped it down with alcohol then applied the glide tape after the alcohol had flashed off.

I bought 10' of glide tape and they sent 13' . Cut the excess into 6" strips and applied to the top most 6" of the front panel extrusion. Rounded the corners of the tape hoping it will make the tape less peelable. Clamped the tape ends for a couple hours while the glue set.

The secret is surface preparation and letting the cleaner soak.

Let me put a plug in for 3 M weatherstripping glue. It works very well.

Someone suggested Velcro fuzzy side. I want to see what the factory glide tape did first. MAy add a strip of Velcro just above the glide tape on of these days.

4. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

Although I wasn't the one who suggested it I did use the velcro method. Seems to work fine, although it does seem to "grab" a bit when opening and closing, as opposed to the tape. I'm fine with that as I was looking for a better seal to keep dust and moisture out, as well as providing anti-friction assistance.

And, you're correct, proper preparation is key.

DiamondGirl and Econ like this.