Aliner Expedition maintenance

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by jackquontee, Sep 28, 2019.

1. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

Finally decided to get off my rear end (due largely to evidence of water intrusion) and get some maintenance done before I put the camper away.
    First step was to replace weather stripping. I replaced the roof seal. Also included is the receipt for the purchase of 7.5 feet of roof seal weatherstripping.

Attached Files:

Rik Peery likes this.
  2. jackquontee

Next step was to replace some weatherstripping on the end of the dormer where the end wall meets the base. I can't emphasize the importance of doing proper prep, removing ALL old caulking (I use a wood chisel), then Goo Gone to remove any remnants of caulking and glue, and then cleaning with Dawn and water to thoroughly clean the surface.
    Interestingly, I reused the old weatherstripping as there was nothing wrong with the condition of the old weatherstripping, it had simply come off and I glued it back in place. I used Gorilla glue but next time I'll use Flex Shot. The GG caused the weatherstripping to slip and slide while the Flex Shot held things firmly in place until it dried.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Rik Peery likes this.
  3. jackquontee

I also borrowed someone else's idea of utilizing velcro as an anti-friction material when opening and closing the roof sections. It seems to serve the same purpose as the anti-friction tape from CNW but I also like that it seems to provide a better "seal."

Attached Files:

DiamondGirl and Rik Peery like this.
  4. jackquontee

And, finally, I got busy waxing for the first time. The roof sections were DULL. I don't know why other sections of the camper didn't/don't get as dull considering they sit in the sun for long periods of time as well.
    One thing that concerns me is what appears as dimples in the roof, as well as the crease that runs horizontally. I'm going to watch it. I hope it's not evidence of water intrusion.

Attached Files:

5. jackquontee

BTW, does anyone have a recommendation for cleaning the aluminum?

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Northwest replaced our wide roof seal twice under warranty. It would split straight from top to bottom. The last one they put on was a single piece seal and not one that was pieced together.

7. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

[PUT]

8. jackquontee

And what would either of these allow you to do - maintain the shine by simply washing the camper?

9. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

This is what I found on a website with a comparison:

Both techniques provide:
    • Stop chemical stains
    • Stop chemical etch marks
    • Prevents oxidation - fading
    • Invisible finish
    • Keeps vehicles looking newer longer
    Paint protection:
    • Stops rock chips
    • Absorbs small scratches
    • Prevents hard water spots
    • Prevents swirl marks
    • Self heals
    Ceramic coat:
    • Creates a hydrophobic surface
    • Keeps contaminants off
    • Enhances color
    • Easier to clean
    I haven’t verified if either is harmful or not harmful to Aliners. Still researching on how it affects the finish on Aliners. I need to verify with CNW if it’s recommended or not. And what’s the cost? My friends got theirs done for $1200 but my Aliner is smaller compared to their Hybrid. Not sure if other dealerships offer and at what price? My friends were told not to use a cover in the AZ heat because the paint protection will keep it from fading. And covers will rub their stickers off. Not sure how true this is? I’ve been using a cover for 5 years but my Aliner sits under a Carolina carport.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

jackquontee likes this.
  10. Econ

Econ Active Member

Your pain over the receipt is shared by many. My favorite part was the surcharge for the order being under $75.00. Sadly, the lifespan of the seal is short enough so something else will be tried next time. At 6 months there is already signs of wear on mine.

11. Econ

Econ Active Member

The next time you do this consider plastic razor blades available at Amazon. They don't scratch the surface.

I also used a heat gun to soften the glue. Make sure you cover about 18" on each side of the seal with plastic as the softened adhesive gets everywhere.

Consider 3 M automotive weatherstripping glue.
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...erstrip-Adhesive/?N=5002385+3292908126&rt=rud
    Available at a local auto parts store. I don't leave home without it.
    Excellent product

The sunrays hit the sides at an angle. They hit the folded down roof head on. Our used Aliner is a base model, no dormers. The section of the rear roof panel that is underneath the front section looked brand new. The exposed sections of the roof were extremely oxidized (dull). The roof was finally mechanically buffered out with the following. Mechanically buffing is not a skill everyone has. You might try hand rubbing but that would be a big chore.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-Compound-...t+hull+oxidation.&psc=1&qid=1571231291&sr=8-2

It was followed with 4 coats of:

https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-53...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Yes, we own a small sailboat.<gg>

The crease: My best guess. The roof panel has sections of foam sandwiched between plywood on the inside and fiberglass on the exterior. Note there is a white tape on the inside. The exterior crease on ours is about where the white tape runs on the inside. My guess is this is where two pieces of foam meet.

Dimples: Ours was heavily oxidized when purchased so the dimples werent visible. Now that the oxidation is gone they are extremely visible. We now suspect that the amount of use this puppy got before we got it was more than stated by the PO. This includes trips out west. The front roof panel and half of the rear panel are dimpled. The area that is covered by the front panel when folded down is not. The upper section of the real panel looks factory new. Everything below the roof seal is dimpled. It would seem that water intrusion would started at top and run down. My speculation is that maybe where the sun heated the foam and it melted a little causing dimples.

jackquontee likes this.
  12. jackquontee

I used to work as a construction painter in my earlier years and actually got pretty good at using a wood chisel to remove caulking. But, I did use a plastic scraper on the aluminum sections where the old caulk overlapped

Actually, I keep the roof up when not using the camper. So, the sun was never shining directly over the roof panels but at something of an angle.

Yes, it is, as I learned recently after having to do three "passes" in order to remove the oxidation. I have since purchased the necessary electrical tools and will be working on it again tomorrow. If I think about it I'll take some pics.