Aliner Expedition

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Lost in Space, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

I am currently looking at 2 Expeditions that seem to be identically set up. One is 2018, the other 2019. Are there any differences between these 2 years??
    Both are rear couch layout, have cassette toilet, hot water heater, front and rear soft dormers (a must for us), lift assist, furnace, AC, wind kits.
    Any input, opinions, thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks...Dana

2. jadmt

jadmt Member

I do not believe there is any difference but make sure you go over both with a fine tooth comb. Check for water leaks from the water system.

3. Lost in Space

They are both brand new. Each is in stock inventory at two different dealers 100 miles apart.

4. jadmt

jadmt Member

mine was brand new 2019 and it leaked like crazy when the water pump was running. The factory plumbing was not put together correctly. Also the water heater was vented so that when the tank heated up it melted the side of the camper above the vent. I would make sure they fired up the water heater and let it cycle thru several times before taking either one.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Where are the AC located in each? Avoid the Cool Cube 5000. Terrible location setup under the back bunk.

6. Lost in Space

Yes, I would not accept ownership until i had seen every system, appliance, or gadget operate properly. Would not want an experience like yours.

7. Lost in Space

Neither has the heat pump. Both have the separate "external" ac and propane furnace.

8. Lost in Space

How well did Aliner remedy your problems? I cant imagine that being typical.

9. jadmt

jadmt Member

I had to fix the water leaks on my own as my dealer is over 340 miles away and when I called them they said I could get an appoint in a like 3 weeks to drop it off so it just was not worth it to me to drive there leave and then have to go back. I emailed and sent photos to Aliner about the water heater melting the side and they never responded back. i have fashioned some metal tape on top of the water heater vent cover and it has not gotten any worse. I am less than happy with Aliner's quality. I previously owned a 2016 Jayco camper and it had better build quality.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

11. Lost in Space

Awesome information. Thank you. I am going to print this out and take with me to dealer Saturday to look at the Expedition. Great checklist and talking points. Heck, might help negotiate price down a little!

12. Econ

Econ Active Member

If you are looking at an Expedition you are probably after a more spacious camper with greater storage capacity than the Rangers, etc. Different personalities require different setups. My personality is that if I drive 300 miles to a campground I am not spending much time inside the camper. The camper to me is a storage vehicle with a good bed, refrigerator and night time relief facilities.

That brings up the sofa bed. How many times do you think you are going to convert your bed back into a sofa every morning? For my personality this is some wiz Bang that the marketing department came up with to appeal to your wife. Same as with the shower. If possible, look at the full mattress edition if one of the dealers has one. The comparatively spacouis under the bed storage is more practical. Plus you can go to a mattress dealer and get a real mattress to sleep on.

13. Lost in Space

Bought the unit today. Pick up end of next week. This one has the sofa bed that we are already planning on making into a permanent bed. We're going to start just using it as is with a mattress, but I'm handy enough that after a few trips to determine exactly our best needs, I will make modifications to a flip up bed and storage underneath. We`ll see. Wont change anything until we've spent some time with it.