Aliner frame size confusion

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by epcotisbest, Apr 5, 2019.

1. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Active Member

So I am looking at a new Aliner, either Scout Lite or Scout.
    I first saw a Scout Lite recently at a local campground and looked at it closely. The owner was happy to show it off.
    Then, I visited a couple of dealers to look at one for myself and the very first thing that jumped out at me is the difference in the size of the frame. The one I looked at in use had a significantly bigger frame. By that I mean the physical size of the tongue frame was bigger. I will include some photos found on the web to illustrate.
    Does anyone know when, or why they changed frame member sizing and is this a concern?
    I called the number on the Aliner website but just got a recording and no call back.

First bigger frame:

alinerframe1.jpg alinerframe4.jpg

2. epcotisbest

Now the frame size I am seeing at dealerships:

alinerframe2.jpg alinerframe3.jpg

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

The larger frame units are normally heavier units, more options and/or off-road. But some companies either use what's on-hand or economize using the "good enough for government work" attitude because the larger frame was "overbuilt" for other unit sizes.

4. epcotisbest

Thank you for the prompt reply. Now that makes sense, manufacturer using what they have. Looking at the first pic in each example, both are Aliner Scout Lite models, neither with the off-road option and they have decidedly different frames.
    So, by them using what is on hand at the time of the build, if they happened to have heavier frame material in stock, I guess they could use that. I would think going from smaller to larger would not be objectionable, but going the other way from a heavier frame to a lighter weight material would not be such a good thing.
    But then you get people like me who notice the difference and want the frame made from bigger framing stock.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

your first photo pair looks like the frame on my 2003 Aliner Scout (low profile) which is a "bare bones" ALiner.

epcotisbest likes this.
  6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

...and the second photo does not look like a scout lite to me... can't say for sure though...

epcotisbest likes this.
  7. epcotisbest

The first photo is a 2016 or 2017 Scout Lite. The third photo is a 2018 Scout Lite.

8. epcotisbest

Yes, the second photo is not a Scout Lite, just an Aliner with the same size frame. It is probably a Scout instead of Scout Lite.

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Not so much skimping on quality, it's just that it may have been over engineered.

epcotisbest likes this.
  10. mark30

mark30 New Member

Read somewhere that starting in 2016, the Scout, Classic, and possibly also the Expedition all got larger size frames (with the dimensions of the steel frame increasing). The Scout and Classic's GVWR increased from 2100# to 2500#. Assume this was to address the bending frame issue.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

2018 Scout ready to pull out.

[​IMG]