Aliner- how do i change a tire

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by KJ Sunshine, Dec 29, 2017.

1. KJ Sunshine

KJ Sunshine New Member

HI!
    I am new to the forums and new to trailer camping. i just got an awesome deal on the Aliner I have been searching and saving for, for about 3 years. 2016 Aliner Ranger 12 Off-road with water heater- $7995- woohoo. Only issue is the driver side tire has some dry rot as well as the spare.
    I ordered the new tires, but now need to take off wheels to have them mounted at Discount Tire.
    I have scoured and read the forum, but still confused.
    I have a great breaker bar and a click torque wrench to get them back on @ 90lbs.
    I do not really know if I need jack stands (read and seen on youtube with and w/o). Not sure if leave stabs up or down- I am pretty sure up. Can i just jack up 18 inch behind the tire on the frame and should i use a bottle jack? It would have to sit for few hours in my garage before I got the wheel back on.
    If I use jack stands- when and how do I place them. under the side not being changed first? how high do i lift?
    Thanks for any help.

2. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I don't have an Aliner. I used to have a popup and I now have a tandem axle HTT. When I replaced all the tires on the HTT (5 including the spare), I used 4 jack stands. I put my jack on the frame between the 2 tires on one side, then lowered that side on 2 jack stands (one in front and one in back of the tires. Then did the same on the other side. That way, I could bring all the wheels to a shop to have the tires replaced.

With the popup, which was much lighter, I would jack up the axle right behind the wheel. This was because the frame was a flimsier metal c channel. And I only needed one jack stand on either side (under the axle) since it was pretty light.

Depending on the weight of your Aliner, you may want to use multiple jack stands. Check the frame to see if it is okay to use as a jack point. Your manual will probably have a recommended jacking point.

3. KJ Sunshine

KJ Sunshine New Member

Thanks. I read the entire manual and is says ZIP about jack stands. It does say to place the jack 18-22 inches behind the tire on the frame when changing a tire. The dry weight is ~1600. I am worried about that weight lifted to one side for a few hours. Might be okay in a quick tire change. Might just make 2 trips to Discount, do the spare first and then put that on, then take the other. likely the simplest option.

4. TNW

TNW Member

Jack stands are the best way to support your trailer when doing this. I place the stand under the axle, behind each wheel. The surface under the stand needs to be solid, place the stand on a board of some kind if the surface is soft such as an unpaved driveway. I jack the trailer using a floor jack placed inboard of the wheel far enough to allow the stand to be placed between the jack and the wheel. Be sure to crack the lugs loose before jacking the wheel. Jack stands are not terribly expensive, or you may be able to rent a set at a rental center or auto parts store.

5. Goodgollyjosh

Goodgollyjosh Member

I was under the impression Aliner didn't want jack stands under the torsion axle? Does everyone follow this rule? I have been placing them on the frame as others have mentioned. By the way KJ, that is a hell of a good price for that camper!

PointyCamper and DiamondGirl like this.
  6. KJ Sunshine

KJ Sunshine New Member

Glad someone else thinks that is great price. I got really lucky. I had found a 2014 base on craigslist, but it was gone by the time i asked to see it. I saw the 2016 on RVT for a few months at a dealer and got an email 5 days before xmas saying they dropped it to 8995. I called and said I wanted to come see it in 2 days, he told me if I buy it that day they would take another $1000 off. Not even sure if it ever was used. The tires still have the different colored chalk on the tread!
    Everything I had read really says you should place the jack on the frame because if you place it wrong on the axle (something I would manage to do) you will destroy the axle.
    The tires are the only issue. Well, that and my panic over high wind kits and it being stolen. Cannot wait to plan our (me and the dog) first trip in March. Somewhere very close so i can figure out how to use everything.

7. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Why? Discount Tires doesn't need the wheels off the trailer to replace them, just need to be able to back the trailer up to to one of their bays(my store it's the bay where they keep the new tires). They have floor jacks. Both of my trailers have been to my store and had the the tires replaced.

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Why on earth would 2 out of 3 tires have dry rot on a 2 year old trailer?

9. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

I don't understand why you need to remove the old tires. Last summer I replaced all three tires on the camper. I had purchased the new tires from E-Trailer. I just loaded the unmounted new tires in the TV, drove the camper to Discount Tire and parked in front of one of their bays where they took care of the rest.

10. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

I would have ordered new tires on new steel rims.
    Steel does not need super torqued like aluminum.
    Easiest way to upgrade.
    Good luck, and enjoy your camper.

11. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Please define "super torque?"
    Per FR, the torque on my steel rims from the factory is 85-95 ft/lbs; not to exceed 120 ft/lbs.
    Torque from the aluminum wheel manufacture for the replacement rims I installed is 90-95 ft/lbs; not to exceed 120 ft/lbs on a 1/2 inch stud.
    I have used 90 ft/lbs since using the aluminum rims, have put thousands of miles, many at 80 mph speeds and many on extremely nasty roads and never had a nut come loose.
    Just contact the manufacture of the rims to get their torque spec.

12. TNW

TNW Member

I had not heard that it was damaging to jack under the axle, so I pulled out the manual for the axle and braking system. You are correct, GGJ, one is warned against lifting the trailer using the axle. I stand corrected.

PointyCamper and Goodgollyjosh like this.
  13. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I highly recommend to buy new tires when buying a trailer. Unless you are VERY certain the conditions of the tires are safe. You need to check the ADOT tire date and visually for imperfections.

A family member purchased a new trailer from an RV dealership. They were coming back from their second camping trip out. The trailer blew a tire and they rolled both vehicles. Thankfully all the kids, adults and pets weren’t seriously harmed. The TV and trailer were both loses. Some of their camping gear was damaged and or stolen by the tow company employees.

The first item we purchased for the trailer were brand new tires. Better to be safe than sorry. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

14. KJ Sunshine

KJ Sunshine New Member

I might just go to discount and have them do the rest. The only way I can figure out is PO likely had one side parked against a fence or cover one tire.. I am in Central Texas, so Dry Rot in less than 2 years, not unheard of at all.
    Diamond Girl- Glad everyone was OK!
    Thanks everyone!!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  15. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

KJ you need to make sure you have a jack that will work with your camper. The one for my truck is to tall for my camper.

PointyCamper likes this.
  16. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

that means its time to lift the camper for much needed ground clearance. after all hate to drag 2 jacks around.

17. OneTruth

OneTruth New Member

Will a regular jack for an suv be sufficient to jack an off road ranger 12?

18. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

You Tube.

OneTruth likes this.
  19. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

my Jeep Liberty scissor jack worked fine jacking up the Aliner on its main fore-aft frame rails; and I did use a few pieces of 2x6 under it. Always use jackstands for safety, these may also need a 2x6 (or two). This is how I replaced both leaf springs on the side of a backroad!

OneTruth likes this.
  20. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

You will probably have to try it at home. When we got our 1st Aliner, the van jack was not a good fit so the Aliner has it's own special jack :)

OneTruth likes this.