Aliner: interested but...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by RuralGuy, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Hello all, I’m interested in one of the lighter Aliners (max tongue weight 200 lbs, max tow weight 2700 lbs), but am concerned about quality. Horror stories abound!

I was particularly concerned by a very thoughtful review on this forum of a new Aliner Scout, in which @WrkrBee detailed both design and build concerns.

The nearest Aliner dealer is about 5 hours away-so I would have trouble getting warranty work. Too, I’m not very handy and don’t want to buy an endless stream of problems.

Can you please help me put the quality issues in context? Am I overreacting? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We still have the Aliner Scout, and it does what we need. It's made two trips to Florida, including one to the keys. Camped at state parks and private campgrounds around the South. It does ok. You just need to be aware of what you are actually buying. I still keep the review updated.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Thanks for taking the time. Really helpful.

4. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I've got 35,800 miles on my Aliner scout all over the US and Canada. Nothing major that has needed fixing. You can see the details on hoffsalinertravels.net
    You do have to realize that all trailers are built of light weight materials with an eye on keeping it inexpensive. There are exceptions but they usually cost way more than I have been willing to pay (e.g. Airstream). I have more than got my money out of mine.

Blackripley likes this.
  5. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

@Wakita46 , thanks for your reply. I read the details on your website--that would be more than I'd want to wrestle with. Glad yours is serving well and you feel that you got more than your money's worth. Interestingly, I read someplace that Airstreams aren't necessarily better constructed than the other RVs--don't know if that is true.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think its the nature of the beast, non are well made and all need to be fixed mantined. As far as what ive been reading, thats all of them. If your good with that get it.

7. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

@Sjm9911 alas, that's consistent with what I've read elsewhere. I was just hoping for better...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sometimes in life , good enough is good enough. Lol. I always want better but never find it!

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

For me this is a big advantage of buying use. Also there are a few companies that make this style of trailer. We sat out to buy a chalet but fell into a forest river.
    As other have pointed out lightweight and affordable can also mean fragile and will need to be maintain.

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Ruralguy
    You should also take a look at
    Slim Potato Head on Youtube has a lot of videos about his A.
    He has a lot of good insight on owning a a-frame camper

Byrd_Huntr and Rik Peery like this.
  11. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

[LOL]

12. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Good points all!

13. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Thanks, @Blackripley. Checked him out, interesting and practical guy.

14. JLE

JLE Member

We bought a new Starcraft Comet Aframe 2015, and they stopped producing them the next year. We realized then that there isn't much of a profit in small units like PUPs for dealers, and not much room for good competition which motivates quality construction and service.

Then, as we are pretty picky in terms of maintenance and updates, we paid some rather big bucks for a three-year extended warranty from our RV sales company. We usually find something in need of fixing or maintenance after longer trips, but generally we are very happy with the PUP and the dealer service in our hometown. I guess that's the long way around saying 'you get what you pay for', and we see the maintenance costs as more than justified to give us comfort and piece of mind ... and fun .... when on the road.

Enjoy!

15. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Good tip re the extended warranty, thanks. My dad used to say, "You don't always get what you pay for, but you don't get what you don't pay for!"

16. JLE

JLE Member

Smart man!

Having said that, a lot of people on this site have many more handi skills for DIY, than are found at our household...just sayin'

17. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

I'm not very handy, may not be the ideal RV owner! I have some handy friends though :)

18. WrkrBee

For handymen, Lowe's and Home Depot gift cards are appreciated. Pizza, cake, and beer can be bartered, also. I was given homemade pimento cheese for the last job.

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

@WrkrBee, gift cards are a fine idea. Pimento cheese sounds great--I've heard of working for peanuts, but cheese :D

indieiggy likes this.
  20. WrkrBee

Most of my work is volunteer at the church, elderly home repairs, or other community needs. Any type of compensation is appreciated, well almost any type.

BillyMc likes this.