Aliner lined up?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Susan Premo, Aug 26, 2021.

Hope you can help me with this.

1. Any one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. All

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dnodoz

Dnodoz Member

We are on our 2nd Aliner and have found if you have the front lower than the back you’ll get rain draining forward trying to get through the long roof gasket.

We had our dinette get wet a few times until we raised the front slightly higher than the back. We are only about an inch higher in the front now but no more rain leakage getting into the front dinette.

We’ve had no impact on towing. We did all the measurements for ball height and drawbar drop to be perfectly level but when we lowered the trailer onto the truck we had some drop on the springs we didn’t account for which caused the nose down issue.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

You'll probably see the lower 1/3 of the ball. You can look under the ball, I use my phone to take a picture and look at that, and see the under jaw under the back of the ball. You can also feel the under jaw pull up against the ball as you push the latch down.

Strawhouse likes this.
  3. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

Now here's a new and wonderful dilemma, after we put the hitch on the ball and then try and raise the wheel of the jack stand back up, the wheel won't clear enough off the ground to take it off. The mechanic did it, but now we can't seem to remember exactly how to replicate how. Everything seemed perfect, we're so perplexed. Any suggestions?? Arghh.

4. Dnodoz

Dnodoz Member

We had the same problem with our first Aliner Scout Lite. We needed to use a higher lift on our drawbar. Still was pretty close at certain campgrounds. Ended up adding a Jackeup so we could remove the entire trailer Jack assembly when towing.

5. WrkrBee

Bottle jack to raise tongue, remove wheel, lower jack. Take jack with you to put the wheel back on if needed.

6. Susan Premo

Can you elaborate?

7. Susan Premo

Are they safe?

8. Susan Premo

Do you mean a regular tire jack?

9. Dnodoz

Dnodoz Member

This from Amazon. It allows you to completely remove the jack while towing. We added this after dragging the jack tube on dips a few times even though it had the wheel off and was cranked up all the way.

Attached Files:

10. Susan Premo

I think that's pretty cool. But our jack is too long, when we try and take the wheel off it's too low to the ground, there's really no way to take it off. So, finally my husband took the truck jack, a 2019 ford ranger, and put it right behind the jack stand, he placed a board on top the the jack so that it went all the way across the frame. Then slowly turned the wheel, not a wheel but can't think of the right word, maybe crank? Anyway, it held it up w/o any creaky noises, took out the stump he had holding it up, and backed up super slowly, and got it on the ball. He sure doesn't want to do that every time. So we're going to look for a 7" hitch.

11. WrkrBee

Bottle Jack.jpg
    NOTE: Once you get the camper tongue jack wheel off, you may not want it back on, unless you need it on to move the camper manually.
    Once you have the camper attached to the tow vehicle, raise your camper tongue jack all the way up.
    Ensure the tow vehicle transmission is in Park.
    Take the bottle jack (4 or 6 ton) and place it under a flat part, on the hitch, on the tow vehicle. You may have to use blocks to get the bottle jack close to the hitch.
    Jack the back of the tow vehicle up, just enough to get the wheel off the camper jack. I may take just an inch or two.
    Once the tongue jack wheel is off, lower the jack.
    Remove the blocks and bottle jack from under the hitch.
    Place the blocks and bottle jack in the tow vehicle.
    If the wheel is needed at the campsite, and you do not have enough clearance, you will need to raise the back of the tow vehicle enough to get the wheel back on the camper tongue jack.

Susan Premo likes this.
  12. Susan Premo

You know we just bought one of those Jack's, thanks for mentioning them. It works! But if we could ever find a 7 " drop on a hitch we'd be golden!

13. bruce wayne

bruce wayne New Member

i haven't had my tongue wheel on in ages. but i have a gravel driveway and its too hard to manhandle. i guess it could be useful on an asphalt/concrete drive. slim potatohead has a good youtube video on the "torsion bar" system. this system uses rubber "bands" as opposed to springs. my camper is newer and has an "offroad axle", but as someone mentioned your camper does look like its sitting a little low

14. Susan Premo

Thanks for the info, it's not as low anymore, we got her up. I like Slim too. I'll have to watch that video.

15. Tait

Tait Active Member

I'm not 100% sure that you are clear on how this works… You raise the jack enough to pull the pin out for the wheel and pull the wheel off, then raise the jack rest of the way off the ground. You do not generally drive with the wheel connected to the Jack.

16. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

Thanks, I know that, appreciate your answer though.