Aliner power lift system-Yeah or Nay?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Lost in Space, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

I am looking at the purchase of a new 2019 Aliner Expedition. I am 62 and have back issues and hope to use this camper for 20 more years. It does NOT have the power lift system. The dealer s saying there have been issues with the power lift and they don't order them that way anymore. Dealer also says that in the 2019 and 2020's the springs and manual lift assist was altered to make them easier to lift. I'm going to look at this Saturday and will put it up and down several times myself.
    But I want to hear what you folks have to say?

Tom and Teresa likes this.
  2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

66 & have a blown back as well as some other stuff, my '19 Ranger 10 has the lift assist/high wind kit & comes in handy; ours has the front soft dormer which adds a little weigh, I step up on the pull out doorstep which helps some...if I were to do it over again, I'd go the NuCamp type camper route, no lifting etc... be dang fortunate if I can get around in 10 years, then I'll start thinking 20 lol...check 'em out good while you're there, 20 years is a long time...

Tom and Teresa and Lost in Space like this.
  3. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We are in our mid 60's and have the slightly smaller Aliner Classic. The standard roof is easy to lift, and my wife insists on doing it herself. I have heard about the power lift system problems, and I think the simpler the better. If you have dormers however, the roof will be heavier. Try a manual roof at the dealer to see how it feels.

4. Lost in Space

Going to New Hampshire tomorrow to do exactly that. Raise the roof on the 2019 Expedition with 2 soft dormers that we may purchase. It does have the high wind/lift assist pole on it. The dealer sent me a video of his 7 yr old grandchild putting the roof up with the pole (and a little help from Grandpa).

Tom and Teresa and Rik Peery like this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Slim Potatoe's lift assist-

megcabra likes this.
  6. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

We have a Ranger 15 (no dormers), same box as Expedition. It is easy to lift with 2 people and the wind kit rods. I can do it alone but we camp together. I am older and shorter than you but my back is ok. It really is easy to stand on the ground and raise the roof then latch the poles. To raise the sides I do need a stool to reach the inside latches over cabinets on driver side but can easily latch curb side and raise the walls.
    My friend has a Rockwood aframe and it is substantially heavier. They got gas struts installed in addition to a cool lever added to the driver side. Much easier now. (after having had 2 electric roof raiser motor$$$)

7. Lost in Space

Yes, I watched this a couple weeks ago. He's pretty ingenious. Actually I've watched most all his mod videos. Haven't even bought one yet and already have a list of possible projects!!!

Minimalist likes this.
  8. Lost in Space

Raised and lowered the 2019 Expedition 4 times today. This one has dual soft dormers. And the wind kit/lift assist bars. Dealer showed me the changes to the gas lift strut mounting locations made in 2019. Anyway, bottom line is I found it very easy to lift. Hardest part was pulling it down last couple of inches to latch it.
    Real bottom line is we bought it! Pick it up next Friday!!!

9. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

10. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

We have a 2016 Rockwood A214HW with the hardside dormer. The lift actuator stopped working after about 20 months. Had it replaced and that one went out in 5 months! My husband removed the lift strut and he and I lift it manually now. No problem with two people and actually goes up much more quickly! I stand on a little step stool and have leather gloves on and grab the handle. My husband made a longer wooden handle that he uses to control his part of the roof. I don’t believe either of us would be able to lift it alone though.

Rik Peery likes this.
  11. Rik Peery

Met a couple this summer while camping that had the same set up, he devised a wood handle for lifting, said it worked better than the factory lift, think it was a modified axe handle...

12. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

That’s right Rik...Claytor Lake State Park! LOL! We are that couple! Going back to CLSP in October!

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. Rik Peery

[LOL] No way! Didn't put 2 & 2 together lol, just told Monica y'all are now on the site, I'm still trying to figure out this "smart" phone...let us know when you'll be coming down, we'll either reserve a site or at least bring the yaks up for a paddle...glad you're here!

14. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

15. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

Sounds great Rik! Coming down October 25-28!

Rik Peery likes this.
  16. Rik Peery

Lol, all the sites are reserved w/ the exception of standard sites in section B...may be able to swing it, if not, maybe come up on Saturday for a paddle...I'll keep in touch...