Aliner roof out of alignment

JoanB

May 7, 2022
I am looking at a 2019 Aliner Ranger 10. I love the unit and am considering purchase, but there is one thing that is concerning me. On the door side of the camper, the sheet metal on the side of the roof is rubbing on the side of the lower roof piece when it closes. It has actually scratched the metal. The same section of roof on the other side of the camper has a small gap. So it's like the roof is a little offset to one side. I'm attaching a few photos.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem, if it is a serious problem, and if it can be fixed with a minor adjustment.

Attachments

• PXL_20220507_210613477.jpg
    PXL_20220507_210613477.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20220507_210645161.jpg
    PXL_20220507_210645161.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20220507_210558929.jpg
    PXL_20220507_210558929.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 20

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
Very common! No effect on usefulness but is a cosmetic issue. There are several things people have tried to make it perfect but none are really effective that I’ve seen. You could use Velcro strips or nylon tape to absorb the rubbing. I used an idea I saw on YouTube and installed nylon ball bearings. They didn’t last I now I have patched holes where they were.

I’m going back to the fuzzy side of a Velcro strip attached where it rubs as a cushion.

JoanB

May 7, 2022
Very common! No effect on usefulness but is a cosmetic issue. There are several things people have tried to make it perfect but none are really effective that I’ve seen. You could use Velcro strips or nylon tape to absorb the rubbing. I used an idea I saw on YouTube and installed nylon ball bearings. They didn’t last I now I have patched holes where they were.

I’m going back to the fuzzy side of a Velcro strip attached where it rubs as a cushion.
Thank you!

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Never had that problem w/ our Ranger 10, is it level when you put up/take down? Wonder what the owner has to say...not to discourage, but I'd for sure check it out...

JoanB

May 7, 2022
Never had that problem w/ our Ranger 10, is it level when you put up/take down? Wonder what the owner has to say...not to discourage, but I'd for sure check it out...
She said it's always rubbed like that. She bought it new in Feb 2020 and hasn't used it very much. I think I'll talk to a local camper service department on Monday. I appreciate the reply.

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
@JoanB… It’s common. Originally, Aliner has a plastic tape installed to prevent rubbing. But once that falls off, it’s hard to re-attach. I found a solution online. The owner from Midwestern AFrame Repair & Service recommended to use Velcro to prevent rubbing. It works well. We added Velcro (pyle) to our former Classic. It was installed in 2019 before we sold her. I used 2” Black Velcro Pyle from HD. I didn’t want to make any holes or damage my Classic since she would be sold. The Velcro stayed on the aluminum. Make sure to clean the aluminum trim with alcohol before adding the Velcro strip.

You can call ColumbiaNorthWest who manufactures Aliners for recommendations. Ask for Kevin in the Parts & Service dept. He’s pretty helpful: 724-237-5337

Midwest Aframe & Repair has a Facebook page. I recommended joining their Facebook page. There’s lots of helpful information shared on it for Aliner owners. The owner has been working on Aliners for almost two decades. He’s very knowledgeable.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

JoanB

May 7, 2022
@JoanB… It’s common. Originally, Aliner has a plastic tape installed to prevent rubbing. But once that falls off, it’s hard to re-attach. I found a solution online. The owner from Midwestern AFrame Repair & Service recommended to use Velcro to prevent rubbing. It works well. We added Velcro (pyle) to our former Classic. It was installed in 2019 before we sold her. I used 2” Black Velcro Pyle from HD. I didn’t want to make any holes or damage my Classic since she would be sold. The Velcro stayed on the aluminum. Make sure to clean the aluminum trim with alcohol before adding the Velcro strip.

You can call ColumbiaNorthWest who manufactures Aliners for recommendations. Ask for Kevin in the Parts & Service dept. He’s pretty helpful: 724-237-5337

Midwest Aframe & Repair has a Facebook page. I recommended joining their Facebook page. There’s lots of helpful information shared on it for Aliner owners. The owner has been working on Aliners for almost two decades. He’s very knowledgeable.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]
Thanks for all the helpful info!

Pedro Galvan

Jul 27, 2021
Rock Hill, SC
I installed a D-ring in the aluminum near the area you mention, to hook up a tarp as an awning for my Aliner Scout Lite. The bolts fastening the D-ring were scratching the aluminum somewhat. I pulled out the aluminum out a little. That solved the problem!